Chapter 17:It's Never Too Late

Outside The Ballroom

Mercury and Emerald are seen running out of the ballroom as the guests stare strangely at the running duo. They rush towards the system tower, planning to find Cinder before someone else does. Will they make it in time? What is Y(N) planning? Let us find out...

Emerald: (Running and looks back to Mercury) Hurry up! We have to warn Cinder about Y(N)!

Mercury: (Running and panting) I...Hate...RUNNING! How...far...is...the...Tower?!

Emerald: Not much farther! NOW RUN FASTER!

Mercury: DON'T RUSH ME, WOMAN! (He starts running faster)

Emerald: You have metal legs! Put them to use!

Mercury: But it will ruin these perfectly good shoes!

Emerald: JUST DO IT!

Mercury: ...FINE! But you're paying for them!

Emerald: I'll use the money from your wallet!

Mercury: I KNEW IT WAS YOU WHO TOOK MY WALLET, YOU BI-

Time-Skip To Inside The System Tower

Two Atlas soldiers are discussing modern problems in an elevator until the doors open and they see Cinder, wearing a black cat burglar outfit with five Atlas soldiers defeated and on the ground. The two soldiers try to apprehend her but she easily defeats them and knocks them out. She steps into the elevator and makes her way to the top of the tower.

Cinder: (Stepping out of the elevator while examining a scroll) Oh, that's handy.

She pockets the scroll and walks toward a giant control console. She looks at the console and pulls out a small flash drive, containing a corruptible virus. She was about to insert the flash drive into the system, but she hesitated and thought back to what you said to her.

Y(N): (Voice-Over) I was a fool when I thought power could fix everything. But with family, I realized that power was nothing compared to it. I grew even stronger when I had someone to protect, someone to care about. True strength is when you live your life protecting others, regardless of what happens to yourself. True strength is when you keep fighting for what is right, regardless of the pain in your past. True strength is to stand up for the innocent, even when no one else does. True strength is to hold on to the good in our heart, even when the pain of loss darkens it...

Cinder: (Stops and slowly pulls the flash drive away from the console) ...Why am I hesitating?! ...This is what I want! ...I have to do this! This is the only way! ...(She clenches her fist around the flash drive) ...The weak die and the strong survive! That's the way of the world! ...(She slowly relaxes) ....Why do I feel guilty? Of all the pain and death I caused, WHY DO I FEEL REGRET NOW?!...

She is suddenly interrupted by her thoughts as the elevator door behind her opens, and Mercury and Emerald rush to her.

Emerald: YOU'RE OKAY!

Mercury: I thought we were too late! Give me a sec! (He starts panting while lowering his head)

Cinder: (Visible surprised) What are you two doing here?! I thought I told you two-!

Emerald: There is no time to explain, it's about Y(N)! He's after you!

Cinder: What?! Why would he-?!

Mercury: He knows you're the Fall Maiden! He broke our communication devices and told us to find you before he did!

Cinder: (In shock) ...T-That's impossible! How could he possibly know?!