32

My phone rang again. It was Deo. Again.

I wiped decided to turn it off so I could cry in peace.

Only I knew how much I sacrificed myself for that job. I did my best.

I accepted everything she said. I groaned in anger. I didn't deserve any of this. I thought my life was perfect, just perfect. Everything was just too perfect for a person like me:

Abandoned girl, forced to become a prostitute. Never got love, enjoys to be treated like a slave.

Sometimes we get so high that we forget what kind of shit we are.

I heard my phone ring again. It was Deo, again. That man couldn't just give up! I didn't want to talk to him!

He's the main reason I lost my job. He could've told me that he knew Ms. Adams so I didn't look so stupid when she fired me and called me those names.

I heard the doorbell. Whoever it was, it had to wait.

"Alice, open the damn door!" I head Deo's voice, he knocked the door loudly. "I know you're inside there!"

He kept knocking the door, ringing the doorbell... yelling at me... meanwhile I just laid on the bed, drowning myself in my own thoughts.

"Alice... I swear to God you'll regret this. You better open this door or I'll-" I opened the door.

"You'll what? Don't you think losing my job just because I have sex with you is enough reason?"

He opened his mouth to say something but then closed.

"Do you imagine how hard I worked for that job-"

"We aren't discussing this here. Let me get in."

"No. This is my property. It dosen't matter of you bought it-"

"I don't care if I bought this! Do you want your neighbours hearing about your personal life."

I sighed and gave him some space to get in.

He walked inside and went straight to the living room, sitting on the only sofa in it, waiting for me to sit beside him.

I sat, but kept some distance from him. We didn't say anything, just stared at each other.

"What did I say about cigarettes?"

I sighed irritated. "We're not talking about this." I quickly said. "I just got fired! I looked dumb in front of them! You could've told me! You could've warned me!" I got up from the sofa while yelling at him. "They humiliated me when all I did was dedicate all my time and energy to that company!"

Tears fell from my eyes. I didn't want to cry, but it was stronger than me.

Deo got up and looked at me worried. "I'm sorry. I though I could control the situation. Irina hardly goes there... I failed you and I'm sorry."

I sat again on the couch and looked at my lap. "I just didn't think that things would turn out this way. And their reasons to fire me are just stupid for someone who considers herself 'professional'" I rolled my eyes.

"Look, I know a friend who also owns a great law firm-"

"No." I cut him. "I don't need that. Thank you, but I like to own my things, for my potential. If Michelle Adams noticed me, so will other people."

A small smile appeared on his pink lips. He cupped my cheek with his large palm and I closed my eyes, enjoying the warmth of his touch.

"So young and independent. I like how you find ways to always get up when life puts you down. You had all the reasons to give up, but you didn't."