Chapter 23

The following night Bella and Embry came over for dinner . Bella helped me as we both tried in vain to not think of the guys training with the vampires later  . In an effort to ease the tension Billy looked to me " so how have you been feeling Stevie ? I remember how Sarah was carrying the twins , she didn't have it terribly hard . Her cravings were something of legend though and her morning sickness lasted quit a while" he mentioned. I faltered for a moment , this was the first pleasant conversation with one of our parents about the pregnancy . " I've been having morning sickness and some cravings , though I don't think they're to odd yet" I said and chuckled lightly , feeling Jake's hand wonder onto my knee. " I was going to talk with my mom and aunt about their pregnancies , especially aunt Danielle since she had Josh and Jordan. From what I was told of mom's pregnancy with me , it wasn't hard. She had morning sickness and cravings , she didn't have any scares" I told him .

Our talk unfortunately did little to ease my or Bella's nerves . When the guys left both of us hugged them tightly . "Please try not to let him get to you" I begged my husband and kissed between his pecs as he ran his hand over the back of my neck. He nodded pressing a kiss between my eyes before setting his jaw and leading Embry outside .

Bella and I stepped out as they met the others and watched as Jake started them running into the trees. I clung to the porch beam trying to dampen down my worry as I held Bella's hand . When they were out of sight I took a resetting breath and Bella and I went inside .

We spread out our homework over the dining room table and did some of it there before settling onto the couch , both of us with a book in toe. Perhaps we are more alike than I thought. Smiling to myself , I thought back to that earlier in the morning . I woke to Jake, the sun kissing his skin and highlighting his features . How he held me ,wrapping his arms around me from behind while I made breakfast and rubbed my stomach lovingly with a gruff good morning .

It felt like forever while we waited . After about two hours of reading I looked over finding Bella just as antsy as I was . "They'll probably be hungry" I murmured , she nodded " yeah , hungry" she agreed absently .

In the kitchen we worked together making a dozen sandwiches and I made a pitcher of blackberry mint tea and cut up a cantaloup to go with while Bella got out a batch of brownies I had made earlier.

All through making up the food my sister and I kept glancing at each other worriedly. " Do you think we'd know if something happened ?" I asked swallowing thickly against my nervous stomach lurch.

She paused "I don't know" she said quietly .I nodded dejectedly "I warned him about Jasper . Jake can be such a hot head , and I just know he'll try and goad him some how" I lamented . She sighed " Edward's the same , I worry that he'll pick apart Em's head and twist things to get at him about me" .

I wanted to tell her that he wouldn't buy into it , but that would be dumb. Wasn't I worried about something similar? Both Vampires have had to much time on their hands learning exactly what to say to rile someone up , and both had quit the motivation much to my displeasure.

The plate of thick sandwiches and the sides and drinks were on the table and now we had nothing else to do.

I let out a relieved breath and smiled with Bella as a set of howls rose in the woods out back . We were out the door before we knew it and smiled lightly seeing Jake and Embry come out of the trees.

As they neared my smile sobered seeing the stony expression on Jake's face. My stomach flipped with dread wondering what happened . When they came to us Jake wordlessly palmed my waist and lifted me up against his chest and breathed deeply from my neck as I settled with my legs wound around his waist. Neither of us bothered to ask the guys any questions yet.