THREE: hot cocoa & short tempers

I woke up to the smell of delicious food wafting throughout the cell block. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until now so I rolled over and stepped out of the bed. I stretched and saw a pile of clothes sitting on the dresser along with a bottle of shampoo and some soap that I assume was left by my dad.

I can't wait to take a shower. It's been forever since I've felt clean so I ran as fast as I could down the halls and into the bathroom that dad showed me. I quickly checked to see if anyone was around and peeled off my dirty rags.

I turned on the shower and stepped in. It felt so good to have warm water touch my dirty skin. I scrubbed my body about 10 times just to make sure I was completely clean. I didn't realize how bad I used to smell until now.

Finally, I got out of the shower and dried myself off. From the pile of clothes, I picked out a pair of black jeans, a forest green v-neck, and a black jacket.

I step in front of the mirror and look at myself. It has been such a long time since I've had a look at myself. I had aged quite a bit since I last looked in a mirror it was almost like I was looking at someone else, not Finn Dixon.

I finished cleaning up, walked back to my cell, and set the pile back on the dresser for Claire who was still sound asleep. I kissed her forehead before walking outside to find dad.

"Hey uh you're Carol right?" I asked that lady with short gray hair.

"Yes, that's correct" she smiled.

"Have you seen my dad anywhere?"

"Oh yeah, he's out on guard duty in the tower sweetheart!" she pointed at the farthest guard tower.

"Thank you!" I yelled as I ran to where she pointed.

From what I've seen so far the people here have been a lot nicer then they were when I first arrived. I guess being a Dixon means special treatment.

I started to run up the many stairs of the guard tower because I just couldn't wait to finally catch up with my father. I missed the late night talks I used to have with my dad. The ones where we would sit outside on the porch way after it got dark. Where dad would have a beer and I would have hot cocoa. Where dad would make his stupid jokes and I could rant to him about anything and he would listen. God, I missed him so much.

But I got to the top of the tower, I found not my dad but the sheriff boy looking out the window. When he heard me open the door, he turned around and pointed his gun at me.

I held my hands up in a sarcastic manner, "Woah there jackass no need to shoot me"

But the boy didn't seem to catch onto my sarcastic tone. "What the hell are you doing up here?" he snarled, "Shouldn't you be out there drawing more walkers to our camp?"

Just a couple minutes ago this kid saved my life and now he decides to be an asshole?

"Wow okay. You were the one who brought me into your camp and refused to come in. You just kept shooting so I think you're the one who drew all these walkers here." I snap back, "Anyways, I was just looking for my dad."

"I only saved you because I wanted my dad to trust me again," he said as he turned back around to the window.

What the hell is up with this kid?

"Did your parents ever teach you manners, kid?"

"Well you were the one who called me a jackass," he said and even though he was facing the window I could tell he rolled his eyes.

I rolled my eyes back, "You were the one who yelled at me when I just came up here looking for my dad that I haven't seen since our world died!"

"You're dad just left to go wake you up" he answered, "Now leave me and the rest of us alone"

I held my hands up again, "Fine. Whatever you say sheriff" I said in a mocking tone and walked down the stairs.

"God what is that kids problem?" I asked my dad, my legs dangling over the edge of the guard tower that I was yelled at in a couple hours ago.

My dad took a sip of his hot cocoa (they didn't have any beer) and turned his head to look at me. "Which kid?"

"That asshole, Carl" I exclaim.

He chuckled a bit, "What did that damn kid do this time?"

I rolled my eyes, "That asshole yelled at me when I was trying to find you. He said the only reason he saved us was so his dad would trust him or whatever that means."

I don't know why I'm so mad about this kid yelling at me. I've had plenty of teenage boys get on my nerves but there's something about this kid that drives me crazy.

"You know that kid has lost a lot" my dad says softening his voice, "He had to kill his own mom Finn"

"Oh" I whisper, "Well that's no reason to be an asshole! I mean I'm not an asshole and I had to kill..." I immediately freeze as the memories come flooding back in. I started crying, remembering the night I had to kill my own mother.

My dad got up and I felt his arms wrap around my back. I felt so safe in his arms, like nothing in the world could hurt me. I wanted to stay in this hug forever and never have to survive outside ever again. I had done terrible things that had only caught up to me now.

XXX

I'm so happy that Finn finally found her dad. He was so important in her life before that it was killing her not seeing him for so long.

Carl's being a little meanie at the moment which earned him a nickname from Finn, Sheriff.