TEN: the infection

a large boom reverberating against the concrete walls of the prison jolts me awake. instinctively, my hand flys underneath my bed grabbing onto the dagger duct taped to the metal frame. another round of what sounds like gunshots goes off as my bare feet hit the cold floor.

frantically, i reach onto the top bunk for my sister. "no time to explain. stay with me and move quickly." claire looks up into my eyes with a fear i hadn't seen in months as i usher her out of her bed.

pulling her behind me i peer my head out into the hallway; there were people running every way

I pulled my sister out into the hallway which was filled with chaos. There were people running every way. I dragged my sister down towards the gate and out of the prison to a group of people standing in the field.

"Stay here! I'm going to go find dad!" I yelled as I ran away from my sister.

I felt bad for leaving her there but I couldn't just wait out there. I had to help.

I quickly ran pst our empty cell block and into cell block D. That's when I saw where the shots had come from. There were walkers in our prison.

I stood in the entrance of the cell block in a trance. There were walkers chasing people, children screaming, people running, it was chaos. I could hear the flesh being ripped out of people but all I did was stand there. I was in shock of the terrible things that had made it into our safe haven.

"Help!" I heard someone scream.

I looked around for the source of the scream and I found Jenna in her freshly cropped t-shirt being cornered by a walker.

Snapping out of my daze, I quickly ran up behind the walker and plunged the dagger into the back of it's skull. I could feel the blood splatter onto my face as it's body went limp and fell to the ground.

"You alright?" I asked.

Jenna just nodded.

I was about to check her for bites but I heard more screams come from behind me. I turned around to see another little boy being cornered by another walker.

I told Jenna where to go to and ran after the boy. I was so close to the boy but before I could reach him the walker was already on top of him. I wouldn't be able to make it.

Then, out of nowhere an arrow hit the walker right in the forehead. I turned around to find the source of the arrow and saw my dad.

"Dad!"

My dad pulled the arrow out of the walker's head and scooped up the boy. "Finn! What the hell are you doing here?" he yelled.

I looked around at the horrific scene. "I just needed to help" I said.

My dad growled, "No, what you need to do is get out of here. I need you and your sister safe!" My dad then handed me the kid, "take him and get out!"

I wanted to protest but my dad ran off to go help others in need. I couldn't just leave and wait for it all to be over but on the other hand, I had to get this kid to safety.

Before I could make the decision for myself another walker came out of nowhere and fell on top of me. The walker laid on top of me and the child, snapping it jaws at us.

I quickly tried to move the child out of the way but the walker had his shirt caught in its hand. I felt around for my dagger which had fallen out of my hand when I got knocked over.

The walker was getting closer and closer to the child that was laying right above my head. I kept trying to push the child out of the walker's grasp but it was no use. The walker was to close already. I had no choice but to use my feet and flip the walker over.

Immediately after the walker went flying over our heads I rolled over and grabbed my dagger in my hand. I crawled over to the walker and shoved the dagger into its skull before it could bite the child.

I quickly picked up the child. "It'll be okay" I whispered in his ear even though I didn't know if either of us would make it out alive.

I looked around a final time to see more people having their flesh being ripped out of their bodies. I looked away from the horrid sight and ran.

I ran all the way outside and back to the group I left Claire in. I sat the child down and a woman who I assumed was the child's mom run up to him and pick him up. This reminded me that Claire was somewhere out here.

I spun around looking for Claire but there was no sign of her. I started to panic. "Claire!" I yelled in hopes that she was just hiding behind the crowd but i got no replies. I ran around the crowd asking if anyone had seen my sister. Everyone I asked said they hadn't seen her.

I felt myself start to breakdown. Tears started to stream down my face as I ran around looking for any sign of my sister. I was about to run back inside and check for her there when I saw Rick

Rick was walking out of the prison, holding Claire's hand. Over filled with joy I ran up to my sister and embraced her in a massive hug. I could still feel the tears on my face when I buried my face into her shoulder.

"I thought I lost you" I whispered.

"She's fine" I heard Rick say.

I released Claire from the hug and looked up at Rick. "Thank you Rick"

"No problem"

Rick then turned his attention to a limping Michonne being supported by Maggie and Carl. Once Carl saw Rick he immediately let go of Michonne and embraced his dad in a hug.

"Dad, I'm sorry I didn't see you come out" Carl said into his dad's chest.

"It's alright. I'm fine". Rick then pushed Carl away from the hug, "back away"

Carl not even noticing Rick's efforts to push him away started to explain, "I'm sorry. I had to use one of the guns by the fence. I swear I didn't want to". At this last part Carl made eye contact with me.

liar

Michonne butts in, "I fell. They came out and helped me"

"You alright?" Rick asks with a nod.

Both Maggie and Michonne nod slowly before Maggie asks, "What happened in there?"

Rick thought for a moment before answering, "Patrick got sick last night. Some kind of flu, moves fast. We think he died and attacked the cell block." He looked over at me and Carl and I could see the tears building up in his eyes. "Look I know he was your all's friend. He was a good kid, we lost a lot of good people. You shouldn't get close to anyone who might've been exposed. All of you"

At that Carl started to back away from his dad and back to Michonne. Then everything went dark.

XXX

Oh no, what's wrong with Finn this time? ;)

Finn is really such a badass. I feel like I would've been dead by now.

Hopefully nothing bad happens to Finn in the next chapter...