EIGHT: a long car ride

"We're here!" Glenn yelled as we pulled up to our destination and stopped the car.

I looked out the window to see a huge department store with a name I didn't recognize . The big building had yellow brick walls but only one entrance that I could see from here.

"So what's the plan?" I ask, closing my door in Carl's face. I give him a quick glare before returning my attention to Glenn.

"Alright is there is only one entrance on this side that we know of. Like Daryl said we have been here before to clear it so we shouldn't have any problems but still don't let your guard up" he answers.

My dad nods and adds, "make a circle around the building and collect as much as your can but make sure you stay in yelling distance just in case"

I nod and wonder if that statement was only meant for me since I was the "rookie" of the group. I didn't like that they still babied me even though I was the one that lived out there with no one but my little sister.

We all followed Glenn towards the front door of the store. Once we reached the door he hit the windows a couple times and waited, "Give it a moment"

After a couple moments nothing happened so we all ventured into the huge store. Once inside the building seemed so much bigger. It was like it's only little world, protected from what laid outside.

When everyone got inside Rick started to give orders, like usual. I was zoned out for most of them until I heard my name, "Finn, you go get some clothes for the girls and anything else down at that end".

Alright, clothes wouldn't be too bad. I mean I would rather go pick out the food or the weapons maybe but picking out clothes would be alright. That was until I heard Rick say, "Carl, you go pick out some clothes for the boy's"

You gotta be kidding me

but before I even had time to protest Rick yelled, "Meet back here in an hour!" and walked off towards the food aisles.

I decided to try to ignore the fact that Carl and me were the only two people left and walked towards the clothing section. Hopefully his section isn't anywhere close to mine because I can't stand to see that boy any longer.

The clothing section was located almost all the way in the back so walking there took a little bit. I enjoyed being able to walk through the store besides the fact the Carl was on my trail the whole time.

We reached the clothing and I quickly tried to disappear into the girl's clothing section before Carl noticed where I went.

There was so much clothing that I didn't know where to start. So instead of just walking like I was at the moment, I stopped and planned out my journey in my head.

First, I walked around picking out clothes for girl's my age. I got many different colored jeans, the classic black leggings, some sweatpants, some jackets, jean shorts, and plain t-shirts in all different sizes. I basically took everything a teenage girl would want, besides crop tops which were completely useless during the apocalypse.

Second, I picked out clothes for girls Claire's age. I didn't really know what kids liked to wear so I just picked out things I thought Claire would want to wear like floral skirts, T-shirts, rompers, etc.

After a while of picking out clothes I felt like I had more than enough so I started to head back. I stepped back out into the walkway and saw Carl sitting at the edge of the boy's clothing section with a bag of clothes in his lap.

Once i noticed the bot just sitting there I quickly tried to retrace my steps but it was no use. He had seen me.

"You ready to head back?" he said, messing with the weird sheriff hat on his head.

I looked at the boy dead in the eyes and walked away, I was not going to talk to him.

"Oh so you're just going to give me the silent treatment now." Carl yelled at me while getting up and running after me.

When I heard his footsteps get close behind me I started to pick up the pace. I didn't want to see the lying face of that boy.

Carl noticed my change in speed and he quickly adjusted his speed to be quicker than mine. Naturally, I started into a run when I felt Carl get to close. I ran all the way back to the front of the store, lugging the bag of clothes behind me.

My loud footsteps caused the others who were waiting at the door for use to turn their head.

My dad ran towards me and pulled his crossbow to his eye, "Finn! What happened?"

I put my hand on his shoulder to let him know everything was alright and he disarmed his crossbow. "Everything's alright. I just couldn't stand to see his face" I said a little too loudly.

"Who's face?" Michonne asked.

Just as Michonne finished her sentence Carl rounded the corner and walked closer. He obviously gave up on running after me and I hadn't even noticed.

"His" I answered.

XXX

i'm so sorry ab this chapter. i'm not very proud of it but i don't know how to change it up at this point.

I promise stuff gets a lot more interesting soon!