NINETEEN: the new sheriff in town

"How long do you think y'all will be?" Rick asked as we walked onto the porch of our temporary home.

"For a couple bags it shouldn't be too long" Michonne answered.

"It's 8:15 now..."

"We'll be back by noon" Michonne quickly answers.

Rick turns his attention to me and Carl, "You all stay safe. Follow her lead, you understand?"

"I understand" I answer but Carl just nods his head.

"Hey," Rick says, noticing Carl's change in behavior, "You okay?"

"Yeah I'm just uh hungry"

Rick starts to walk back into the house. "See you in a couple hours" he calls.

The three of us start on our walk. I look back to see Rick watching so I wave to him, letting him know everything will be okay.

We walk past a couple of houses before we even start to go in and check for supplies. We check about 4 different houses and find okay stuff, nothing too good, nothing terrible. The whole time we are on the run no one speaks and it's getting kind of awkward so I try to start some conversation.

"Find anything good?" I ask Carl who just walked out of the 5th house we have checked.

He doesn't respond.

Michonne catches onto what I'm trying to do and adds, "Any candy bars? Comic books? Crazy cheese?"

When Michonne says "Crazy Cheese" it catches Carl's attention. "Huh?" he asks.

Michonne then pulls a bottle out of her bag, "bam! Crazy Cheese! I found it still sealed and everything. Now i'll be nice and let you have the first pull."

"No thanks" Carl replies.

"You sure?"

"I'm fine" Carl says walking a little faster than the rest of us.

Michonne stops, "You don't seem fine"
Carl freezes and turns around to face Michonne, "I'm just tried, okay?" and storms off again.

Michonne glances over at me and I give her a "He's not fine" kind of look. She nods and runs after Carl. She sprays all the Crazy Cheese into her mouth and starts to make noises like a walker in hopes to make Carl laugh but he doesn't. He storms off once again.

I catch up to Michonne and whisper, "At least you tried."

The two of us walk onto the porch of the 6th home to meet Carl. Michonne breaks the silence, "I'm sorry, I'm not very good at making boys your age laugh"

"I was laughing, inside" Carl replies.

We both give Carl a look and Michonne gets back to knocking on the door. "Toddlers found me funny. 2 to 3 year olds" she adds.

Toddlers? Why would Michonne ever be with toddlers?

Confused, I ask, "What do you mean toddlers?"

Michonne turns around to look at the two of us, "I had a 3 year old son and he happened to find me extremely funny".  But before either of us could reply she drew her katana and walked into the house, leaving me and Carl too shocked to move.