TWENTY-EIGHT: the awkward first kiss

It's been about 3 hours since we've been here at the church. Just me, Carl, Tyreese, Judith, and Claire. My dad and Carol went out looking for water and the rest of the group went out with Gabriel to find more food. I didn't want to stay back here at the church, I wanted to go out with everyone and help find supplies but my dad made me stay back here. After everything I have been through he said it was too risky and he needed me here to protect Claire if anything bad happened. Which was absolute bullshit because Tyreese was here has already done a good job of protecting my sister.

So, instead of going on the supply run I have been here at the church. I swear I've done about 30 sweeps of the inside so far, just to make sure the priest wasn't hiding anything but every single time I find nothing. I don't know what to do with myself. I haven't been bored in what seems like ages.

Claire, Tyreese, and Judith were in the back room playing with Judith so they could tire her out and finally put her to sleep which left me and Carl alone with nothing to do.

I paced down the aisles telling myself I was sweeping the area when in reality I was midlessely walking up and down the rows. "Can you please stop pacing" Carl yells from behind me.

I stop my pacing and turn toward the boy. He is in the very corner of the church, sitting in apew doing absolutely nothing.

"How about you just stop watching me, stalker" I snap back, only half-way joking.

Carl lets out a little chuckle and crosses his arms, "Don't flatter yourself. I wasn't watching you, it's just annoying"

I roll my eyes and make my way down the aisle. Once I reach the pew Carl is sitting in I sit down on the opposite end from him.

"Do I really smell that bad?" Carl asks jokingly when he notices my distance from him.

I look at the boy and laugh. "Yes" I respond quickly.

Carl lets out a small laugh before straightening his face "No but seriously, do I smell bad?" he asks worridley.

I smile and shake my head. I couldn't believe Carl grimes was actually self-conscious about something. He was just out there it was weird to see him so worried about himself.

Out of nowhere, I decide to stand up. I wasn't really thinking when I stood up, it just kinda happened. Carl notices me and gives me a confused look. I smile at him as walk over and sit down right next to him. We were so close that out shoulder touched even when I was sitting straight up.

"What was that about?" Carl asks awkwardly.

"I wanted to be closer to you" I blurt and immediately regretting my actions I quickly add, " Uh just cause I didn't want to yell because uh you know, Judith is sleeping"

Carl just slowly nods as he looks back down at his feet.  I do the same and start fiddling with my fingers. It's something I've always done when I was nervous or anxious and it drove my mom crazy. For some reason, she hated it. Whenever I did it she would rest her hand on mine and let me hold her hand instead. I weakly smiled at the thought of my mother. God, I missed her so much.

"Finn..." Carl whispers breaking the silence.

I look up from my finger to see Carl looking at me, his face close. "Yeah?" I ask quietly.

Carl scratches the back of his neck and refuses to make eye contact with me. "I uh wanted to tell you something but I uh don't know how." he mumbles so quietly I can barely hear it.

My heart starts beating a million times faster and I felt my face go red. "What?" I whisper awkwardly.

"I uh..." Carl says worridley, "How about I just show you? Is that ok?"

Flustered, I slowly nod my head and start to answer, "Yeah, you ca-" but I'm cut off by a pair of lips crashing down on mine.

My heart beats faster than I ever thought it could and I freeze. I didn't know what to do, I've never kissed anyone before. Well, on the lips that is.

Carl pulls away and I can see the sadness in his eyes. He looks away from me and I can see him start to tear up. "I'm so sorry Finn. I didn't mean t-" but I cut him off by cupping his face and placing my lips on his.

I felt as if the whole world was frozen. Anything could happen right now and it wouldn't matter, I just wanted to be with Carl. I wanted to be surrounded by his warmth and never have to let go. But I did have to pull away from his soft lips, I couldn't stay there forever as much as I wanted to.

I looked into the boys bright blue eyes and smiled. I blushed when I saw the boy looking at me too and looked down into my lap where my hands were fiddling again.

I felt Carl's hands slide towards mine and saw them wrap around my hands, holding them in a little ball. I looked up at Carl to see him wearing the biggest smile I have ever seen.

"I like you Finn. I like you a lot and I have for a while now" he mumbles as he squeezes my hands.

"I like you too Sheriff"

XXX

finally they realized their feelings towards each other.

sorry this was a short chapter but I wanted i dedícate it to the two of them.

Also, Claire may or may not have seen this kiss ;)