SIXTEEN: the snap

I wake up and sit up in the bed that I stole. I feel the sun shining through the upstairs window and I hear the birds chirping but that peacefulness is soon interrupted by the sound of yelling coming from downstairs. I scramble out of the bed and grab the pistol sitting on the dresser across the room.

I quietly make my way out of the room I was borrowing for the night and walk down the stairs trying my best not to make any noises just in case it's an intruder. I slowly round the corner of the room with my gun drawn and realize the yelling isn't coming from an intruder, it's coming from Carl.

"You probably can't protect me anyways. You couldn't protect Judith! You couldn't protect-" he chokes on his words.

I move a little bit to the side to get a better view and realize that Rick is still asleep and hasn't woken up yet due to the yelling. I want to run in their and check on him but I feel frozen in place.

"Hershel, Maggie, Michonne, Daryl, or mom. You just wanted to plant vegetables. You just wanted to hide. He knew where we were and you didn't care! You just hid behind those fences and waited for... They're all gone now because of you! They counted on you! You were their leader!" The boy then collapses to the ground and curls into a ball. I can hear his sniffles all the way from over here. "Now you're nothing" he whispers and wipes his tears.

I start to back away from the boy in hopes I wouldn't be seen but like always something has to go wrong. I set back too far and run into the wall causing a loud thud. I cringe at the noise as the boy quickly turns around to see me standing there. He stands up and I can see his face turn red with embarrassment or maybe even anger. "Were you there the whole time?" he yells at me.

I don't know what to say so I just nod. "What the hell Finn! Why would you eavesdrop on someone like that?" he yells clenching his fists.

I started to get angry at the way he was treating me so I yelled back, "I could hear you all the way upstairs shitface! Every walker in about a 5 miles radius probably heard you!"

"Oh well I can't help it I get mad!"

"Well maybe you should be able to cause if you can't it's called anger issues and I definitely think you have some!"

The boy starts to get even more frustrated, "Oh well, at least I'm not an eavesdropper! This is the second time you have done this Finn!"

I feel my face get hot not from embarrassment but from anger. "Maybe I wouldn't eavesdrop as much if you didn't yell that much and I'm glad I eavesdropped on you the first time because I wouldn't want to be friends with someone who didn't like me!" I yell.

The boy's face softens for split second before he starts to yell again, this time a little quieter, "It wasn't like that Finn! I didn't mean what I said! I really liked being you friend!"

"Bullshit!" I yell and cross my arms.

"It's not bullshit!"

I rolled my eyes at his lies. "Well even if it wasn't  I wouldn't ever want to be your friend again after that. God, I think I'd be better off alone than with you and you're dead father!" I blurted. Once I realized what I had said I covered my mouth, "I didn't mean tha-"

But my apologies were cut off by a much angier Carl. In fact he looked so angry I thought he might kill me. "What the hell did you just say? My dad is not dead unlike your father! Actually I'm glad your father and Claire dead so now you finally know what it's like to lose someone!" he yelled.