Chapter 1: A Living Myth

I just find these stories adorable and not used as much as they should. This was also inspired by ShadeAkami's story "Beacon's Baby Dragon", so go give that a read too. So in this story, the reader is a former lab experiment since he is a dragon faunus. He then found by team RWBY and taken to Beacon. So this story will eventually follow the main story line, but until that point, there will be nice fluff. Though I will be giving a reader discretion warning since there is mention of child abuse and experimentation.
I own nothing
Prologue: The Boy
Tiny foot falls were heard as a young boy fled deeper and deeper into the unknown forest. He barely remembered his life in the outside world, just the dark place, the cold steel floors, the iron bared cages, and the unnatural smells. He suffered terror after terror, and never knew why. Then one day, men in white masks came and fought the men in white coats. Somehow, he managed to slip away in chaos. He didn't want to wait to see if these strangers would help him, he just wanted to get as far away from the dark place as possible. He ran and ran, his tail dragging behind him, until his legs gave out beneath him in the forest. He crawled into a fallen rotten tree and curled into a tight ball, crying softly. He was tired, hungry, traumatized, and was frozen to the spot. He didn't know how long he laid there or when he fell asleep, all he did know was that he woke up to the ground shaking. Peeking out, he saw the previously night sky now a clam shade of aqua, but he had no reason to be calm. Right outside his hiding spot was a monstrously large black and white bird preening itself. Everyone knew what the Grimm were, he still could remember the bedtime stories of these creatures which would give him nightmares. He pushed himself back into the farthest side of the tree and curled back up. He began crying harder this time.
"Someone. Please help me,"
Then a shot rang out as the Grimm squawked angrily and the earth and tree rattled. In that moment, the boy knocked his head into the bark, and quickly blacked out.
Chapter 1: (Y/N)
Team RWBY was currently out in the nearby forest training and practicing their maneuvers and maneuvering. Yang and Blake were bouncing and weaving through the trees while Weiss and Ruby attempted to shoot or slow them down. Ruby, with her trusty Crescent Rose, finally managed to trip up her sister by shooting a branch she attempted to land on, causing her to fall. The blonde girl quickly recovered thanks to her gauntlets and shot to the next branch. She shot her sister a smile.
"Nice shooting Rubes," Ruby grinned back.
"Thanks Yang!" Weiss rolled her eyes.
"Can both of you please focus on the exercise?"
"Aw lighten up Ice Queen," Yang teased as she jumped down from the tree. "We're just having a little fun," Blake jumped next to her.
"I think we should keep going," Ruby groaned.
"But we've been out here since dawn! Can't we go back now? We don't even train this early for classes!" Weiss opened her mouth to reprimand their leader, when a familiar screech filled the air. The girls immediately went on guard as they recognized the sound of a Grimm.
"It's not far from here," Blake informed them. Yang smirked and slammed her fist into her palm.
"Then let's go kick its butt!"
"Wait, we shouldn't rush-," Yang was already off before Weiss could finish.
"Come on!" Ruby insisted.
The team sprinted to the Grimm's location. It was a Nevermore, now facing off against Yang in a clearing. The girls quickly rushed into a formation. Weiss and Blake flanked Yang while Ruby hung back for sniping support. Blake began distracting the Nevermore with her after image clones along Ruby's constant firing, while Weiss set up a trap of ice spikes on some of the trees. Yang then jumped and slammed her fist right into the monster's beak, sending it flying into the traps. It wasn't dead, but it definitely was on the ropes, so Ruby converted Crescent Rose back into its melee mode before speeding by and jamming it directly between the bird's eyes. The creature dissolved into dust, leaving the girls satisfied with a job well done.
"Man, these Grimm are getting easier and easier to beat!" Yang cheered.
"Don't get cocky Yang," Weiss warned. "That was only one undersized Nevermore,"
"Uh, guys?" Blake called to them. The cat faunus had walked over to a fallen tree which looked to have an opening in it. "I think I heard something in there,"
The other members of Team RWBY were on guard once again as their companion crouched down to get a better look, only to shoot up with widened eyes.
"I think it's a kid!"
"What!?" They shouted as Blake crawled into the opening. While the others gathered worryingly, she reemerged with a small boy in her arms. He was in rags and he was covered head to toe with injuries.
"Poor little guy," Yang said. "Must've gotten lost in the woods and ran into the Nevermore," Weiss, who had a very soft spot for cute things, began examining his injuries.
"He's in poor shape. He's got wounds and a few bumps on his head. Wait-," She pushes her hand through the boy's tangled (H/C) locks and revealed a pair of small, curved, white horns on top of his head. "He's a faunus!"
"Wait, horns?" Blake gasped in surprise. "But he has a reptile tail!"
"That doesn't matter!" Ruby screamed. "We need to get him to Beacon! For all we know he could be really hurt!"
"Ruby's right," Weiss said shockingly. "We need to get him help,"
(Timeskip)
The girls made a hasty return to the academy and rushed the injured child to the infirmary where the nurse had quickly patched the boy up and told the girls to take him back to their dorm so he could rest while she informed Professor Ozpin. Currently, the mysterious boy laid asleep on Weiss's bed while Zwei sat next to him. The girls hovered over him with worried expressions.
"Poor kid," Yang finally broke. "He shouldn't be like this!"
"How long will he be like this?" Ruby asked.
"The nurse said it shouldn't take too long for him to regain consciousness," Weiss answered. "In the meantime, she and Professor Ozpin will attempted to locate his parents,"
Blake knelt beside the boy and began gently rubbing his head. She could tell this kid had been though something horrible just from the numerous scars and the many dried bloodstains on his clothes. Maybe it would be better if his family wasn't found. He suddenly began squirming and his face scrunched up.
"I think he's waking up!" Ruby said excitingly. Blake moved back as his eyes opened. They were pools of (E/C) filled with confusion. It took him a minute to realize where he was before glancing at the girls who smiled comfortingly.
"Hi!" Ruby greeted. The boy jumped and bolted under the bed, his eyes bright in the dark as he began to shake. Yang knelt down.
"Hey, it's ok. We're not gonna hurt you little guy," he didn't move and Ruby joined her sister.
"Please, we just want to help you! You were hurt so we brought you here," At that moment, the door burst opened as the entirety of Team JNPR walked in.
"Hey guys!" Jaune greeted. "Do you have any tools Nora could borrow?"
"That last Grimm I smacked really put a dent in my hammer!" Nora shouted enthusiastically as the little boy curled up tighter at the new voices.
"Um, what are you looking at?" Pyrrha asked, noticing the team all gathered around the bed.
"Did your dad send another pet through the mail?" Jaune asked jokingly. Weiss shook her head.
"No, it's much more serious than that," Zwei hopped from the bed and ran beneath it. Nora waved her hammer.
"Go get it Zwei! Whatever it is!" She then ran over to the bed herself.
"Nora, if it is an animal, it's going to bite you," Ren warned as his friend knelt down to get a better look before popping up with a stumped face.
"Why is there a little kid under your bed?"
The rest of Team JNPR's eyes widened as they also surrounded the bed, crouching to see Zwei licking the cheek of a very scared boy who couldn't have been older than 7 or 8. Jaune gazed at the girls in confusion.
"Did you guys kidnap someone's kid?"
"Of course not!" Weiss retorted.
"We found him in the woods while we were training," Blake explained as Ruby finished.
"Yeah! He was hiding from a Nevermore and got hurt so we brought him here!" Pyrrha frowned in pity.
"Poor thing, he must be terrified," Nora didn't seem to hear her.
"He's. So. CUTE! Look at him! I wanna pinch those cheeks and pet that tail!" The boy bared his sharp teeth and growled "threateningly". Nora didn't care.
"Aw! That's even cuter!"
"Nora, you're scaring him more," Ren stated. "He will try to bite you," Pyrrha looked back at the child and smiled calmly, offering a hand.
"Come out little one. There's nothing to be afraid of,"
"No!" He finally squeaked. "Go away!"
Ruby went beside Pyrrha.
"It's ok! The Nevermore is gone! No more scary monster,"
"Nevermore?" The boy asked.
"The Grimm," Yang answered. "We saved you from it,"
"You saved me?" He tilted his head in confusion.
"Of course!" Weiss retorted. "We're huntresses, it's our job to protect people from Grimm,"
He seemed a little calmer now, but still very suspicious. Zwei then licked his face again. He glanced at Zwei before scratching him behind the ears.
"What's his name?" Ruby smiled.
"That's Zwei! He's our dog. My name is Ruby, that's my sister Yang, those are our teammates Blake and Weiss, and that's our friend Pyrrha,"
"You can come out," Blake insisted. "We just want to help,"
He hesitated for a moment, before Zwei nudged him in the right direction. He crawled very slowly towards Ruby. Once he was in reaching distance, the female leader gently and slowly gathered him up in her arms and pulled him out. She smiled at him.
"See? That wasn't so hard,"
He curled up again and slightly hid his face in Ruby's neck, only letting one eye peek out.
"He's so cute!" Weiss squealed uncharacteristically.
"Is he some kind of lizard faunus?" Ren asked looking at his tail. It was an odd (T/C) tail with darker (F/C) spikes on it. Blake shook her head and pushed back his hair to reveal the horns.
"I don't know any lizards with horns like these," Nora raced up to Ruby.
"He's like a bull lizard! I bet he'll be able to stab Grimm with these when he's older!" The boy held Ruby tighter and hid his face completely. Ren once again pulled Nora back.
"Nora, you're scaring him again,"
"It's ok little guy," Jaune assured him. "That's just Nora, she gets really excited. That's Ren, and I'm Jaune," he peeked his eye back out.
"What's you're name sweetie?" Pyrrha asked.
"(Y/N)? I think it's (Y/N)," he said unsure.
"Think?" Blake asked. There was a knock on the opened door. The 2 teams turned to find Professor Ozpin and Professor Goodwitch standing in the doorway.
"May we come in?" The headmaster asked.
"O-Of course!" Ruby answered. (Y/N) held her tightly and began to shake. Yang ruffled his hair.
"Don't worry, those are just Professor Ozpin and Professor Goodwitch. They won't hurt you, I promise," (Y/N) stopped shaking but was still holding Ruby tightly. Glynda looked him over.
"So this is the boy?"
"Yes," Weiss answered. "He said his name is (Y/N). Can you use that to locate his family?" The professors gave worryingly glances to one another.
"Unfortunately," Ozpin stated. "We cannot return young (Y/N) to where he came from,"
"What do you mean?" Ruby asked.
"Several days ago, police were called out to hidden facility," Professor Goodwitch explained. "Apparently the White Fang had raided the facility and a fight broke out. Upon investigating, the police realized the facility was a lab doing illegal experimentation...on children," everyone gasped in shock and quickly realized why (Y/N) was so weary of people and why he was cover in scars. Ozpin nodded, his eyes fill with disappointment.
"Indeed, the experiments were conducted on both human and faunus children, all of whose families were...exterminated. Unfortunately, both sides fired indiscriminately and all of the test subjects were caught in the cross fire, save for one who was unaccounted for,"
"You think (Y/N) is the missing test subject?" Ren asked. The others were too sickened by the fate of the other children to speak. Ozpin nodded.
"The files police found indicate the missing child was a male around 8 years of age as well a dragon faunus,"
"A dragon faunus?" Blake shouted in surprise. "But those are just myths!" Ozpin walked up to Ruby and gently showed off (Y/N)'s horns, as well as revealing a cluster of (S/C) scales.
"And yet he has reptilian features as well as mammalian horns. I don't know how the scientists found him, but it's clear they discovered someone who shouldn't exist," Nora stamped her feet and gripped her hammer.
"Where are those creeps who hurt those kids? I'll bash their faces in!"
"No need Ms Valkyrie," Professor Goodwitch interceded. "All the scientists perished in the White Fang attack," Ozpin looked at (Y/N).
"You don't need to be afraid anymore. The men who hurt you are gone, and they'll never return," (Y/N) finally looked at the professor with hopeful eyes.
"Really?"
"Yes, you're safe now,"
"What will happen to him now?" Blake asked.
"We've already contacted the investigation team," Goodwitch informed them. "It's likely he has no family so an orphanage would be the first solution,"
"However, I interceded," Ozpin added. "His mental state is fragile at the moment and moving to such an environment would only further damage it. Which is why, I ask Team RWBY to look after him until we can find a more permanent solution,"
"Of course we can watch him!" Ruby quickly cheered. Yang grinned rubbing his cheek.
"Who wouldn't want to take care of this little guy!"
"Someone also has to make sure you don't get him into trouble," Weiss added, though the warm look in her eyes said she had other motives.
"We'd be happy to watch him," Blake agreed.
"We'll help too!" Jaune volunteered. Pyrrha nodded.
"Indeed, he'll need as much help as he can to heal," Ren nodded while Nora gripped.
"Just let anyone try and mess with the baby dragon! I'll break their legs!" Ozpin nodded.
"Then I welcome you to Beacon young (Y/N),"
"T-thank you," he squeaked softly. The teachers walked off, still discussing something. Ruby hugged (Y/N).
"Don't worry, we won't let anything happen to you,"