26- The Hayes Family

*Hunter's POV*

I waited patiently outside on a bench for Ally to come out from inside the building. She was changing out of the clothes she wore on the plane and into something she thought would be 'more formal' for her to meet my parents, which I didn't see why it was a big deal to change her clothes, I knew my parents would love her however way she came. But whatever she felt most comfortable with, I was okay with it.

When she finally reappeared from the building, she was wearing a pale blue dress with sleeves and combat-type boots. She put her hair down and had brushed it out a little, so it was still a little messy but looked nice.

"Ok, I'm all set."

"Good, I was getting bored." I said playfully and she tapped my shoulder. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." She leaned up and kissed my cheek before climbing into the passenger seat. I circled around the front and opened the door, sitting next to her as I started the engine.

"Are you nervous?" I asked after a long silence between us.

"Huh?"

"Oh come on, don't play that game when I know you heard me."

"Well- yeah, I am."

I snuck a look over at the girl sitting in the passenger seat. Her now-shorter hair didn't help to hide her face and the expression she had. I could quite easily tell she was nervous because she began to play with her bracelets around her wrist and she had been quiet since we left the last place on my little tour of Lafayette, an uncommon trait in her.

"That's just natural, I'm supposed to feel nervous, or at least that's what I thought we were supposed to do when you meet the family for the first time." Ally mumbled, recalling how ecstatic I was to meet her family.

"Don't be, there's nothing to worry about. They already love you." I tried to say.

"-but they haven't even met me yet. How can you like someone you've never met?" I looked her in the eyes with a serious face. "I know, I'm just really worried about this whole trip. I don't want to disappoint."

"And you won't, because you're amazing and you don't have to worry about anything. Just be you."

Only a few minutes later, we drove into Breaux Bridge, my hometown. Just seeing that bridge as the car passed under it warmed my heart. I drove right through the center of town to near the bayou and pulled up next to a house. I smiled as I looked through the car window at the house I lived in all my life.

"Is this it?" Ally asked me and I nodded. From the corner of my eye I saw her smile and look back at the house.

I turned the engine and took out the keys. I hopped out of the car and circled quickly to her side, letting her out before we both grabbed our duffels from the trunk. She took my hand as we walked to the front door, backpacks on our backs and duffel bags in hand.

"Ready?" I asked as I raised my hand to knock.

"As ready as I'll ever be." She replied and I hit the door a few times.

Almost immediately, the door unlocked and opened.

"Excuse me ma'am, would you like to have a few days worth of keeping this man under your roof and keeping him fully fed and healthy?"

The voice next to me scared me as it wasn't Ally's...or at least not her normal voice. Definitely not her normal voice.

My mom looked between us. "Hi!" She exclaimed as she took me in her arms. "Oh, it's so nice to have you home."