10 - Back Before You Know It

Y/n pov

Tony and were standing on our separate platforms in the garage, trying to get our suits off, when Pepper entered the room. She slowly approached us and gasped once she got a good look at the suits. "Are those bullet holes?"

I sighed. "Yes, they are." At this point my upper body was fully out of the suit and my feet were stuck in the boots. "Now get over here and give me a hand, will you?"

She walked over to me and took my outstretched hand, pulling it and causing me to tumble out of the boots and let out a breath. "Thanks."

Tony had finally gotten out of his suit and walked over to where Pepper and I were standing. "Are you busy?" He looked to Pepper. "I need you to go to my office and hack into the mainframe. You're gonna retrieve all the recent shipping manifests." He held out a hard drive. "This is a lock chip, this will get you in. It's probably under executive files, if not... they put it on a ghost drive, in which case you need to look for the lowest numeric heading."

Pepper looked at him surprised. "And what do you plan to do with this information if I bring it back here?"

I sighed as Tony continued, moving over to his work station and starting to tinker with pieces of the suit. "Same drill." He looked to me and then back to her. "They've been dealing under the table, I'm gonna stop them. I'm gonna find my weapons and destroy them."

Pepper looked conflicted. "Tony... you know that I would help you with anything, but I can not help you if you're gonna start all of this again."

Tony groaned in annoyance. "There is nothing except this. There's no art openings, there's no benefit, there's nothing to sign. There's the next mission, and nothing else."

"You know Tony, I'm not doing this right now. I would do anything for you two, but not this. I'm not going to help you two get yourselves killed. Goodbye." She left the room and I sighed.

"Now how else are we going to get the information. There's no one else with a high enough clearance level to go into the office without setting off any red flags." Tony grumbled to himself.

I cleared my throat. "I can go in." I walked over and sat on the desk next to Tony.

He immediately stood and looked me in the face, taking a couple steps toward my form. "Nope. Not gonna happen."

"Tony, we need this information. I can go into the office without a problem." I argued.

"That is not happening. I need you there with me. You're not going."

I grabbed his hand and pulled him toward me so I could look into his eyes, showing I was serious. "Do you have any better plan?" He turned his head away from me. "Look, we'll still do this together, alright? We just have to get the information first."

He didn't answer and just continued to stare at the ground and slightly pout. I sighed and reached up, as he was still much taller than me because I was still seated on the desk, cupping his face with my hand, rubbing my thumb along his cheekbone. "Tony... look at me." I lifted his head and his eyes met mine.

"I'll be fine and I'll be back before you know it, alright?" He meekly nodded and I could see it in his eyes, something was up. "What's wrong?"

He gave a soft sigh. "It's just that... This is dangerous. I know it is. And I don't want to bring you into it. I - we - shouldn't be alive. The shrapnel that is still in our bodies reminds me of that. I almost lost you once, I can't do that again. I don't want you leaving me here alone. Ever since my parents died..." I could see his eyes water a bit. "You're all I've had."

"Oh Tony..." I brought him toward me and hugged him. He leaned down and buried his face in the crook of my neck and I could hear him take a deep breath. I brought my hands to his head and threaded my fingers through his hair, whispering in his ear, "It's okay. I'm not going anywhere. Okay? You won't lose me. I'll always be by your side." I pulled back a bit and rested my hands around his neck. His hands stayed around my waist.