18 - The Captain and the Doctor

Coulson landed the jet on top of a roof and opened the back door. The silhouette of a large man appeared walking toward the jet. As he gets closer, Y/n sees blonde hair and a brown leather jacket.

Coulson meets him at the bottom of the ramp and they exchange a few words before they walk into the jet side-by-side.

The man walks up to Y/n and sticks his hand out. "Ma'am. Steve Rogers."

She takes his hand and smiles. "Y/n L/n."

The back of the jet closes and the three sit down and lift into the air.

The girl looks over to the Coulson and notices his cheeks are tinted with a light hue of red and smirks. He must be a fan.

They're in the jet for about an hour when the Captain pulls out a device and begins watching a video of the Hulk.

When he is finished, he looks up. "So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum they used on me?"

Coulson nods. "A lot of people were. You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought Gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula."

"Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much. When he's not that thing though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking or Agent L/n over here."

Steve looks at the girl in confusion and she smiles and shakes her head as Phil continues. "He's like a smart person." He pauses for a bit, "I gotta say, It's an honor to meet you, officially. I sort of met you, I mean, I watched you while you were sleeping. I mean. I was, I was present, while you were unconscious from the ice." The man stumbles over his words and sends Y/n a look when she face-palms and giggles a bit.

Steve, uncomfortable, moves over to the cockpit and leans on his arm, looking out the window while Phil follows. "You know it's really- it's just a- just a huge honor to have you on board- it's..."

Steve sighs lightly and looks into the distance at the open water, a small black dot resting on the horizon. "Well, I just hope I'm the man for the job."

Coulson replies, almost too quickly, "Oh you are, absolutely. Ah- we made some modifications to the uniform. I had a little design input."

Steve looked at the man in confusion. "The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little... old-fashioned?"

Phil sighs as Y/n steps forward. "Everything that's happening, the thing s that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned."

The jet soon comes to a large aircraft-carrier like ship. Steve stares in wonder and slight recognition. People are everywhere and soldiers and agents are running everywhere.

The jet lands at in an open space and the three walk down the ramp at the back of the jet when it opens. They are greeted by Natasha and Y/n walks up and hugs her as the others wait patiently.

Phil introduces the two. "Agent Romanoff- Captain Rogers."

"Ma'am."

The redhead nods and turns to Phil and Y/n, "They need you two on the bridge; they're starting the face trace."

They nod and make their way inside, leaving Steve and Natasha on the deck.

-

Once inside, Coulson walks over to talk to other agents while Y/n stands behind Director Fury obediently.

The director turns to the girl. "I need you to get a suit here."

She looks at the man in confusion. "Sir, with all due respect, I prefer to use my fists-"

"It's in case of emergency. And it would be nice to have some extra protection in case something goes wrong."

She doesn't fight the order and pulls out a device from her pocket and flips it, pressing a few things and pulling up a control panel. She presses a button labeled 'M5' and presses a button labeled 'release'. A map appears with the suits, location and she smiles.

Turning and leaving the room, she walks up fights of stairs and opens a door to the roof. The helicarrier starts rumbling as she walks out to the deck of the carrier, she spots Steve and Natasha making their way over to the edge of the carrier along with another man.

Y/n walks up next to them and the man looks at her. She recognizes him as Dr. Banner and smiles before holding out her hand. "Y/n L/n. Nice to finally meet you Dr. Banner."

He smiles nervously. "You too."

He turns to the outside of the ship as the rumbling grows louder. The Captain walks up beside her and looks at the water that is starting to churn. "Is this a submarine?"

Bruce looks at the water as he, too, walks to the edge. "Really, they want me in a submerged pressurized metal container?"

A beep signals from Y/n's phone and she pulls it out to check it while propellers begin to rise from the water.

Dr. Banner smiled sarcastically once he realizes what the helicarrier actually is. "Oh no, this is much worse."

The three start turning to walk away when Y/n turns and walks the other direction as the carrier starts rising into the air at a semi-fast rate. They all stop and look at the girl in confusion. Steve calls out, "Ma'am, shouldn't we be heading inside?"

She looks to the man and nods. "Yeah, just give me a second." She continues walking to the edge of the carrier. Once she is right at the edge, she turns to the three watching her and smiles before stepping off the edge. 

She free-falls for a bit before the familiar feeling of a padded metal shell surrounds her body. Her mask snaps on and her vision lights up. She shoots upward, landing on the edge of the carrier. She sees two shocked faces and a smirking one and laughs as her mask flips up. 

"Fury wanted me to grab my suit."

Steve looks at her, bewildered as Bruce admires the technology in front of him. 

Natasha turns. "I think It's about time we head inside boys." She starts walking to the door to the inside of the ship while Y/n follows. The boys trailing behind the women.