Chapter 20 :{)

Day 3 - Wednesday

The bright sun, shining through the gaps in the curtains, greets my eyes. I turn my to look at Kendall and realise he’s staring at me. For how long had he been awake?

“How-“ I’m cut off.

“Not long actually. Just a few minutes,” He replies. I think he’s a mind reader. It’s only a guess though. “So what are we doing today, Guide?”

“Haha! I like my new nickname. I feel important!” I say,” Umm, well, we could go to the zoo but there are a few we can choose from,”

“A few? Wow! Well, could we go to the most ‘funnest’ zoo?” He asks.

“The most fun zoo would probably be Taronga Zoo. It’s amazing!” I boast.

“Well, let’s get ready then!” He says, getting up from the couch. I walk to my room and begin the transformation from a scruffy girl to a ready-to-go-to-the-zoo girl. Once we’re ready, we head down to Darling Harbour to catch a ferry all the way to Taronga. That has to be one of the most exciting thing about living here, in Sydney.

“Do we have to go on a ferry?” Kendall asks. He sounds kind of worried. Is he scared?

“Yeah, we do! There’s no other way to get there,” I reply. Of course there is another way to get there but he needs to know that there’s nothing to be afraid of. ”Don’t worry! It’s so much fun! There’s nothing to be afraid of!”

“Me scared?? No way! I was just making sure that there wasn’t a quicker, safer way to get there,” He says. I pat his back, take his hand and lead him to the ticket sales person.

Once the ferry arrives, we jump on the ferry, Kendall more hesitant than I would’ve originally thought. We sit down at the very back of the vessel. I put my head on his shoulder and he wraps his arm around me. The ferry takes off from the port. Kendall’s shaking is much more obvious now.

I lift my head up, “It’s alright, Randall. It’s just a boat. What are you so worried about?”

“I’m not worried, scared or whatever else you think,” He replies. He can’t lie to me!

“Yes, you are. If you’re not, then why are you shaking so bad?” I contest.

“ Because… it’s really cold on the open water,” He says, spreading his arms out wide. He’s not going to admit that he’s scared, so I leave it and soon enough we arrive at the zoo.

We travel up the gondolas and begin our trek around the zoo. The animals, oh, they’re so adorable! We walk past the monkeys, which are my favourite! We go into the reptile room, gaze at the lions, watch the orang-utans and so much more! There are so many animals. The day goes by so quickly and, soon enough, the time has come for us to buy a souvenir and travel back down the gondolas to catch the ferry. This time, Kendall doesn’t seem as scared and actually stops shaking. I’m proud.

Day 4:Thursday

Kendall and I head out to have some breakfast with my mum. I’ve felt bad lately. I mean, my mum and I have lost someone dear to our hearts and here I am ditching her to hang out with Kendall. I feel so guilty, so I thought it’d be a great idea to spend breakfast together. Yes, the conversations are kind of awkward but, hey, we expected that. And by ‘we’ I mean me.

After a very delicious breakfast, Kendall and I go to the aquarium, while my mum catches up with her friends somewhere else.

I’ve been to the aquarium heaps of times, with my school, with my friends and with my family but no matter how many times I go, it never fails to amaze me, which is great!

We walk in and see soooooooooooooo many sea critters. I love it! We walk under a tunnel-type thing that has sharks, stingrays and fish swimming all around us. There’s even a section of the aquarium that has all walls, the ceiling and floor made of glass!! The sharks, stingrays and fish swim all around us!! It’s too incredible. Before we leave, Kendall buys another souvenir. Just like me, he loves getting souvenirs.

After the aquarium we decide to go for a walk around the harbour. It’s a beautiful day. The sun is shining, no clouds around.

“So, this is my last day,” Kendall starts off.

“What about tomorrow? You’re here for the next 3 days, aren’t you?” I ask. I’m pretty sure he mentioned that he was staying for a week.

“I’m so used to calling the working week, just a week. I’m only staying for 5 days. It’s already been four,” he replies.

“Oh,” Is all I say, “When does your flight leave tomorrow?”

“It leaves at noon,” He says. He doesn’t look at me, he gazes around the harbour instead, “It’s a beautiful place,”

“It is,” I’m shocked. If I’d known that this was his last day, I would’ve made it better. I bet this sucks as a last day.

“This has been an amazing week. Thank you for everything, Nathalie,” He says, breaking the silence.

“I’m really glad you’ve enjoyed it. I’ve definitely enjoyed having you here, especially through this hard time,” I reply.

“Hey, that’s what I’m here for. It’s my job to make you happy when you’re not,” He smiles. I smile back as we make our way to the monorail. “This is safe?”

“Of course it is! You haven’t been on a monorail before?” I ask. He shakes his head, “I’m surprised! I thought that you might’ve been on the monorail in Las Vegas,”

“Nope! I was kind of too scared to go on,” He reveals. I never knew that he, the Kendall Francis Schmidt, was scared of monorails and ferries. I’ve learnt so much about him today. We buy the tickets and hop on a carriage. We take the full ride around the city, looking out at all the small people walking on the ground. Once we get back to the start, we walk all the way back to my place and enjoy our last night in Australia together.