chapter 10

Kelly's POV

Mr Park and his fiancée looked perfect together, twirling on the dance floor,staring into each other's eyes with so much love. Mr Park was staring at her like she is the best thing that ever happened to him.

That's the kind of love l wanted in a marriage. Seeing my parent's disastrous marriage since growing up , l had vowed to myself never to enter a loveless marriage and put my future children through the same emotional stress l suffered.

I tell you , it's horrible!

I was never going to settle for anything less! I did rather die an old spinster.

The song changed jerking me out of my daydream. I stared at Mike besides me. He was staring at the dance floor with an icy look on his face. His jaw was tightly clenched and l could see the anger glittering in his eyes.

He had finally joined me an hour ago and he has been angry since then. Honestly l don't know why he was angry at me and l had stopped caring.

He remained cold and distant during our ride back. The atmosphere in the car was too intense , too thick that you could cut it with a knife. I couldn't take it anymore.

This was suffocating me. I needed to know what l messed up at the party. I opened my mouth ask him but he beat me to it.

"How do you know Kyle Gateshade?" he suddenly burst out angrily.

I stared blankly at him astonished. For the first time after the party , he turned to face me with a glare.

"You spent almost the entire time at the party flirting with that brat . You want people to start gossiping that l hired a whore for my secretary. And the worst part, you were flirting with my number one rival's son," he added the last party sarcastically.

I gasped in disbelief.

I knew Mike and Mr Gateshade were enemies but he had no right to insult Kyle like that . Kyle was kind and always considerate. He was nothing like his father.

I spent the better party of the evening talking to Kyle , but flirting was too much a word to use . l felt anger coursing through my veins .

"Kyle is my friend and l wasn't flirting . Even if l was , why would it matter to you ?," l snapped back at him.

"I was the one who escorted you to the party ."

His glare darted at me and shot away so swiftly to look out the window. I did the same. In that moment l too was pissed off with him. I couldn't bear to look at him without wanting to claw his eyes out.

"How do l know you won't betray me too? ," he asked quietly.

I could note the sadness in his voice but in that moment l couldn't care less. Mike had doubted my character.

The car pulled up in front of Rose's apartment. I got out and slammed the door hard.

"To hell with you , Mike Knight !," l cursed under my breath walking away.

In that moment , l didn't give a damn if l wake up the next day to discover l was fired for rude behaviour.

The next morning Mr Knight was unusually late. I let out a yawn for the third time since coming into the office . All night long , l had tossed in my blankets debating whether to quit or not.

In the end l had decided to bear with his tyrant ways. I couldn't bear to toss all the living expenses on Rose . l couldn't ask father for money. For once in my life l wanted to be independent.