Chapter 20

Kelly's POV

Pausing at the top of the staircase, l nervously tugged down the short yellow summer dress. Of all the clothes Rose brought along for me, this was the only thing that came close to decent. I never liked to flaunt my body unless l was on a beach.

I started a slow descent down the stairs. The living room area and the kitchen was an open plan. Rose and Felix were on a couch, playing a video game. Mike was in the kitchen cooking.

"This smells delicious," l spoke up and he looked up from his pan.

His eyes turned to molten heat as his appreciative gaze racked down my body and lingered on my long legs. His intense gaze caused shivers all over me.

"Mike?"

He blinked his eyes as if coming out of a trance.

"You were saying?"

I felt a rush of delight at the knowledge that l affected him too.

"I said the smell of your food is delicious. What are you cooking?"

"Lasagne."

"I didn't know you can cook."

Most people who grew up in our world rarely knows how to cook because we grew up surrounded by maids who did everything we wanted. I also didn't know much about cooking.

"My parents were rarely around when l was growing up. They were busy traveling around the globe building their business empires and conquering the world. So l became close to the maids, drivers, bodyguards. They were all like my little family. But l was very close to Bethany, our cook. I used to spend a lot of time in the kitchen watching her cook or in the sewing room where she sew clothes for the house help. She taught me to cook and sew clothes. That's how l came to love fashion designing."

"Wow! So where is she now? I am sure she is very proud to see how you turned out."

Sadness clouded his features for a minute .

"Sadly she didn't live to see Knights Fashion. She died of cancer."

"I am sorry."

He recovered his smile but it didn't reach his eyes.

"She was sick for a long time. There was nothing they could do for her anymore. Even the medicines couldn't take her pain in the last days. Death was actually a relief for her."

I squeezed his shoulder comfortably behind him.

"Do you want to help?"

"Of course."

He passed me a basket filled with carrots, all types of pepper,onions and ginger. He told me to cut them up and l got to work.

He talked about Bethany and the tricks he pulled on her as a kid and we laughed about it. I can't believe weeks ago we were at each other's throats.

We finished dinner and set up the table. Rose and Felix were still on the couch battling with their game controllers.

"Get your lazy asses over here," Mike called out to them.

Rose let out a cry, screaming that she had won again. Felix groaned and cast away the controller in his hand.

"I can't believe l beat you again," Rose chuckled.

"You cheated, you cheat. You were batting those eyelashes at me every time l was about to win. You won by distracting me," he whined.

"Didn't they warn you that a woman's beauty is her weapon?"