chapter 11

Kelly's POV

I felt restless the next morning. I knew that l had offended my boss somehow yet l didn't know how to rectify that. He had practically ignored me the entire morning.

This morning when he came into the office , he simply nod his head at me in greeting before disappearing into his office till now.

I checked my watch.

12:50

It was almost afternoon yet he had not summoned me with his morning coffee.

Black , strong and two spoons of sugar.

I dropped my head on the table with a weary sigh silently willing the intercom to buzz just once and assure me that l still had my job.

I couldn't afford to lose my job , not yet. I wasn't ready to move back home and face my mother.

I recalled how deadly silent the ride to my apartment had been . Mike was gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles turned white and his face was taunt with tension. I had made him very furious.

I felt guilty for judging him so harshly . After all it was his company and l had no right to question his decisions.

Shooting out of my seat , l strode towards the refreshment room with determination. I couldn't stand the tension any longer. I had to talk to him and resolve our differences once and for all.

Minutes later , l was standing in front of his office. I dropped a nervous knock on his door before opening the door and strode in without waiting for his cue.

He was seated behind his desk working on some files. He raised his face , disapproval clearly written on his face . His eyes were red rimmed and there were huge bags beneath his eyes. He looked worn off . Even his midnight black hair was not in place.

I doubted if he had even slept last night or taken a shower this morning.

He looked terrible!

I raised my eyes back to him and saw that his one eyebrow was cocked in question. Moving forward , l placed a tray with a steaming cup of coffee on his table.

"I brought you your morning coffee."

Instead of thanking me , he leaned back in his seat before saying,

"I didn't send you for coffee," he stated.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment , willing away my emerging anger.

"Mr Knight , if you are angry because of what l said last night then l am really sorry. It wasn't my intention to insult you or anything."

"Don't act as if you know everything , Miss White. You don't know me at all and you never will so don't go around assuming things," he replied in a cold voice.

A gasp escaped me.

"Mr Knight , l think you are taking this in the wrong direction. I didn't mean to.."

He held up one hand to silence me.

"l don't like mixing business with personal matters ,Miss White. You may go back to your post ."

                         ~ ****~

I slammed his door hard and strode back to my seat angry. I had swallowed up my pride and apologised to  him but he had simply brushed me off in his cold and icy manner . He was impossible to deal with .