Chapter 22

Mike's POV

I stood by the door silently observing her as she sketches her designs, her dark brows furrowed in concentration. She leaned back from her drawing board and her lips twisted into a satisfied smile, stealing my breath away.

She was everything l didn't know l needed until she came along.

For years l had built walls around myself, steeling myself from any emotion and she had came along and with a single stare, she had managed to breach those walls.

She looked up then and noticed me. A smile lit her beautiful face and l found myself swooning. She had  power over me yet she didn't even knew it.

"How long have you been standing over there spying on me?"

I smiled as l moved away from the doorframe to join her. These days she has been working very late and l knew the reason for that. Despite telling her a lot of times, Kelly didn't believe she was more talented than most designers at Knights Fashion so she worked an extra hard to improve her skills.

I leaned over her to take a look at the design she was drawing. A gasp escaped me at the sight. It was a handbag with a rare design.

"This is exquisite," l told her.

She looked up at me with doubt in her eyes. I understood her. Growing up with a mother who didn't love you can be a poison to your self esteem. You stop believing other people ever care about you because your own parent didn't.

Kelly loved me but her past experience with people had planted a seed of doubt in her. That's why she didn't want to acknowledge what she felt for me because she was afraid l will betray her trust and break her heart just like her mother.

A thousands knights guarded her heart and only love and patience will help me past those guards. My father once told me that when l finally find someone who cares about me and makes me happy, l should cherish them and hold on to them.

The first time l had been gravely wrong and l lived to regret it. Now that l am older and wiser, l know without a doubt that Kelly is the one person l should cherish.

"I think you should remove this line. Too much patterns can ruin the design...."

She placed her finger on my lips and our eyes locked. For a charged moment, our eyes held, drawing into each others, silently communicating the things we felt but never found courage to say out loud.

Her long dark lashes lowered, hiding whatever she felt for me. She was fighting it and it was clearly exhausting her. She was tired of running away from this thing between us and l know it was only a matter of time before she surrenders. Kelly was a rare gem and l was going to wait for her.

They say good things come to those who wait and in this case l believed them.

"I want to do this design on my own. I don't want people to gossip that you were helping me," she added quietly.

That's when l remembered what Felix told me. He said they have been gossips circulating in the company that Kelly had an affair with me to gain that promotion.

"I heard the rumours going on."

Kelly looked up at me startled.

"How did you know about that?"

I smiled at her words and her eyes widened.

"Of course it's Felix. Why didn't l think about that."

"Felix is top management but he basically knows everything that goes on at Knights Fashion."