Chapter 12

Kelly's POV

I checked the time on my wrist watch and let out a big yawn, stretching myself. It was past eight and darkness had already shrouded the city. I had stayed behind after work to prepare for tomorrow's meeting.

I felt exhausted, sleepy and l craved for my small bed more than anything. Had l known that my day was going to end up badly , l would have gone home earlier that day.

After clearing my desk , l realised that l left my cellphone in the conference room. I hurried back to the conference.

As l grabbed my cellphone, l felt a chilling suspicion creep down my neck that l was not alone in the conference room. My hairs stood on end. I held my breath in fear.

The lights were off and the room was plunged in total darkness. I had not bothered flicking the lights on when l came in because l knew the place like the back of my hand.

My eyes got adjusted to the darkness and l realised that it was my boss in the room. I almost collapsed with relief.

Mike knight stood before the floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the city . He had removed his suit jacket and his shirt sleeves were rolled up to his elbows revealing muscled arms.

He had that arrogance look on his face as he stared down at the bustling city below. In that moment he looked like a king surveying his city.

His presence seemed to shrink the size of the room. He always carried that dominant aura that demanded attention wherever he was. I envied his confidence because l was never sure of every decision l made in my life.

Mike Knight always seem to know what he wants and how to get it. He was cunning in business dealings and ruthless in takeovers. No wonder he was one of the most despised and yet respected businessman in New York city.

"Are you going to stand there quiet?," his deep voice echoed in the silent room.

He turned around and met my gaze across the room. My cheeks flamed , feeling embarrassed of having been caught checking him out.

"I came to get my.. my cellphone," l stuttered in a nervous voice , holding up my cellphone for him to see .

He didn't reply but continued staring at my face with his unreadable eyes. My heart started beating at a faster rate for no reason.

Why am l always nervous around him?

There was a soft glow of the moonlight on his profile highlighting his expertly trimmed features .

Get moving!

The conscious part of my brain urged me but l found my eyes glued to his face. The long windows were open and l watched the wind playing in his midnight black hair blowing it aside.

He shoved his hand impatiently through his hair to remove some of the hair playing on his face.

My mind drifted back to the rumour that he was supposedly dating that sly woman and l immediately broke out of the magic spell cast by his good looks. I wondered if any of it was true.

It's none of your business!

A frown formed on his face as he checked his time.

"Why are you still here?," he asked.

"I was prepping for tomorrow's meeting."

He thrust his hands into pockets.