Chapter 18

Mike's POV

The office felt empty and cold without her. I didn't realise the impact she had until she was gone. Her constant babble used to irritate me a lot but now l missed it. I miss hearing her smooth voice streaming through the intercom, stirring something deep within me. I miss her terrible coffee. Now l know why she couldn't even make a decent coffee. She was an heiress afterall. She probably didn't have to lift a finger all her life.

"Sir,do you need anything?"

Jane's voice invaded my daydreaming. I realised that l was still standing in my ex-secretary office staring at her empty desk, lost in thoughts. Lost in thoughts of what could have been.

"No Miss Jane. I was on my way to my office."

She gave a small nod looking unsure of my response. Felix's probing skills were probably rubbing on to her. She strode to Kelly's small desk and began loading her things in a small box.

"What are you doing?," l ask her.

"Kelly left some things at the office and she needs me to bring it to her," she replied looking at me as if l was crazy for even asking because Kelly had quit the job.

I felt my heart constrict with the familiar pain. The pain of rejection! Kelly couldn't even bring herself to take her things because she was avoiding me. I pushed the dark thoughts away.

I was not going to let my parent's ghosts or her dark memories ruin my life anymore. I had let these people torture me for so long. I deserved better.

"Give me the box. I will pass it to her," l said, surprising the both of us.

Jane's mouth gaped open at my words.

"The box?," l told her,holding out my hands.

My words seemed to snap her out of her shocked state and she extended the box to me.

"Do you have her address?"

"I know where she lives."

Jane's eyes  widened into two dark saucers but she closed her mouth without a word. She knew better than to ask. I bet she was probably wondering how l know her address and if anything was going on between us.

It was a matter of time before news spread throughout the company of how bad l had it for my former secretary. Afterall Jane was the news channel in the company, spreading gossip whereever she goes. They gossiped together with Felix.

But now l didn't care what anyone have to say. Getting her was the only thing that mattered now.

Pathetic l know but that's how l felt at the moment.

I sat in my office, staring at the box for a long moment, contemplating whether l was making the right step of showing up at her doorstep unannounced.

A large sketch book at the top of her things caught my attention. A gasp escaped me the moment l opened it. I flipped through the pages, my eyes widened in awe. These were the most amazing designs l have ever seen.

For an amateur, l had to admit she was talented. Her talent was fresh, rare and needed a slight polishing. Kelly White has a gift Knights Fashion needed. The company needed something new and refreshing and she had it.

I grabbed my coat off the hook and went out. I knew what l needed to do. It was like killing two birds with one stone.

                            ~****~