~Chapter Eighteen~

Play song whenever you want. It has no connecting to the chapter, but I thought it might be nice to have music to make the chapter more... interesting... and emotional...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you hear was the wind hitting the trees and sometimes the howling of owls and wolves within the forest. Subaru was just staring at me, wondering if I was telling the truth or not. Either way, I don't think he believes me.

"you're joking. You know that she is a sensitive subject for us so you shouldn't make jokes about her," Subaru said a little annoyed. (Don't murder me Fumiko-Chuan.) I knew that he would believe me, so I have to prove it to him.

"when we first met, I accidentally tripped into you while you were water the roses. You then helped me up and we stood there awkwardly. To lighten the mood, you sprayed water at me. I then stayed with you for the rest of the day before I left," I said, remembering the memory. His face changed.

"it is you..." Subaru said. "why? Why did you leave? Why did you not come back? Why didn't you tell us when you first arrived?"

"Subaru, one question at a time please. I can't answer them all at once," I told him, trying to calm him down. He was confused.

"why did you leave that night? You could've stayed," Subaru asked. Question one of many.

"I come from a family that is nothing like yours. When I first arrived, everyone was so nice to me. My family is the opposite," I said. I was still hesitant on telling him about my parents.

"what do you mean your parents are the opposite to our parents being 'nice'?" Subaru asked, more confused.

"my family wanted a boy, not a girl. I was left in the basement of our home... constantly being abused..." I said quietly, looking down at my lap. I couldn't bare to look at him in the eyes. "the day I met you, I... was able to take my 'fathers' keys and I ran... after I left yours, I continued to run, but they found me... took me back home and... and..."

I broke down into tears. I wasn't sure if I would be able to continue, but I owe this to Subaru. I have hidden this from him for so long.

"Yuki..." Subaru said quietly. He moved closer to me until he was sat next to me and embraced me in a tight embrace. "you don't have to continue."

"but I do. I've hidden this from you for so long..." I said, wiping away my tears. "they abused me worse than ever. It came to the point where they had to stop because I was on the brink of death. They left me there to die, but I didn't die. The thought of you and your family kept me alive and gave me the strength to continue."

"where your parents... the one who dropped you off here?" Subaru asked me quietly.

"no... as you know, they are apart of the church, only a secret part. They do experiments and help those in need. I was one of their patients. They gave me medication to help with my wounds. It's why I stopped taking them. All that is left is the scars," I explained. It was thanks to him...

"so, you went from abusive parents, to an organisation set on helping those in need," Subaru said, trying to put all of the information through his head. "but how did you end up at the organisation in the first place?"

"well... it turns out I'm not an only child," I started. "I'm a twin. When I was born, my parents found out that I was a girl and demanded that I was to be nowhere near my twin, who was a boy. I found out years on about this when he came down and saw me. He helped me escape and took me to the organisation. I don't know what happened to his since."

"is... is that everything?" Subaru asked me.

"yes." I said. "that's what I was too scared to tell you."

He didn't speak. Whether it was because he was still processing or for another reason, I was scared of what he was thinking. Please understand that I kept it from you for a reason. I was too scared to tell you about any of this. It's a sensitive subject.

"let's go inside..." he finally said. I nodded in agreement, so we left the garden and walked back in doors. He led me to a seating area that has a glass window next to it. He sat down and then sat me on his lap. "thank you for telling me about this. There is one more thing I'd like to ask you."

"what is it?" I asked quietly.

"can I see your scars?" he asked. At first, I was shocked, but eventually nodded my head and began to take my shirt off. Most of the scars were on my back, meaning he had easy access to see them.

Once I had taken my shirt of fully, I felt two hands place themselves on my back. They were cold, but soft at the same time. He began to slowly caress all of my scars. While he did this, I looked out the window to see the moon change from white, to a blood colour. The awakening has begun...

Subaru suddenly stopped caressing my back. I looked at him confused. His face showed confusion and shock. Something was wrong.

"Subaru? What is it?" I asked him concerned. He didn't reply at first, so I turned myself around until I was facing him and forced him to look me in the eyes by grabbing his chin. "Subaru, talk to me."

"She's back," he said. "no... it can't be possible..."

"Subaru who's back?" I asked him confused.

"Cordelia." He replied.