CHAPTER EIGHT// [SEASON TWO]

Sam's Outfit

Sam's Outfit

Today is the day of my Bat Mitzvah, and I'm excited and nervous and I'm feeling every emotion.

We got to the venue right before it began, and now I'm in the room kinda prepping to do my reading from the Torah.

I feel like I'm going to fall over and have an anxiety attack, I'm so nervous.

But luckily, it goes well, and two hours later I'm getting ready to make my entrance into the reception.

Schneider escorts me, and everyone in there applauds for me. It's not a big group of people there. It's just the Alvarez's, a few people from school, Dana and her moms, some girls from dance team, and some boys from Alex's baseball team.

The dinner part goes smoothly enough, there's a buffet set up with all of the things I like, and with your basic party staples.

After the dinner, it's time for the thing I've been planning for months. Since eight is a lucky number in Jewish culture, I picked eight people or groups of people who are special to me, and I'm telling them how much they mean to me, and for each one I'm lighting a candle on the gigantic sparkly rose-gold menorah that's we got as a decoration. I picked a special song that makes me think of each person/group that'll play when they walk up and when I light the candle.

Believe it or not, this part is more nerve-wracking for me than the reading of the Torah, because this is a lot more personal.

I began with my first thing, "You guys are the most special people to me. My favorite nights of the week are the ones I get to spend with you. We're a team, and a family. And I love all of the inside jokes and memories we have between us. Can my dance team come up here and help me light the first candle?"

When they walked up, California Gurls by Katy Perry began to play.

After they walked up and helped me light the candle, I started me next dedication thing.

"You're the grandmother I never had. I love when we get to teach dance together, and you're a super fun person to be around, and you're a big inspiration to me. Will Lydia Riera come up here and help me light the next candle?"

As she walked up, Dancing Queen by ABBA played. Once she got up there, she hugged me and helped me light the candle.

Once she sat back down at her table, I began my next speech, "You inspire me to completely be myself, and you've got me into activism. You promote the traits of individuality and confidence, and you help me stay true to me. You're also one of my best friends, and I love you so much. Will Elena come up here?"

As she walked up, I'd Rather Be Me from Mean Girls the Musical began to play.

"Thank you, Sam", Elena said hugging me. We then lit the candle together.

Once she got back to her seat, I began to talk again, "You are a mom to me. I know that I can come to you whenever I need you, and you've given me some of the best advice I've ever gotten. You are one of the most important people in my life, and I am so thankful for all that you've done for me", I said, as I began to tear up. "Will Penelope Alvarez please come up here?"

As she walked up here, Chicago by Sufjan Stevens played.

"Thank you, Sam. I think of you as another daughter", Penelope said, hugging me.

We both teared up a little as we lit the candle.

After she sat, it was time to do another speech.

These next few would definitely make me cry too, so I wiped me eyes, and prepared.

"I've only known you for about a year, but you've become one of the most special people to me. I can trust you with anything, and I can come to you with anything. I love you so freaking much, and I hope we can remain friends forever. Will Dana come up here?"

As she came up, Seamless by Sabrina Carpenter began to play.

"I love you too Sammie", she said, hugging me from behind as we lit the candle.

Once she sat down, I began my next speech, "I love you. You're one of the people out there who understands me more than anyone else. You've been there for me through every problem, every breakdown I've had, and I'm forever grateful for our friendship. Even if we're just doing homework, we have a good time together. Alex, will you please come up here?"

As he walked up, You're My Best Friend by Queen played.

He hugged me and said, "I love you so much, Sammie. Thank you for everything". We then lit the candle.

Once he was sitting, I began my second to last speech.

"You've been there for every special moment in my life, and you've loved me unconditionally for as long as I can remember. You're super fun to be around, and I know I can count on you. You're like a dad to me. Wait, screw that. You are my dad. You're my dad, boogie woogie woogie. Ignore the Vine reference, I'm trying to not be emotional, but I'm failing. Schneider, Dad. Get yo here", I said.

As Schneider came up there, Unconditionally by Katy Perry played.

"You're my daughter, Sam. I love you", Schneider said, as we lit the candle. We were both crying by then, embarrassingly.

After he sat, I began my last, and most emotional speech.

"Mom. I don't remember a lot of when I lived with you. I was only three when Schneider adopted me, but you're a part of my life regardless of that. You died for me. You risked everything so I could live. I wish I could've known you. I wish I could remember you holding me. I wish I could've said I love you, and I wish you could see me now. Schneider says I look just like you did when you were thirteen. I hope you can hear me from wherever you are, because I love you mom", I said crying.

Over The Rainbow by Judy Garland began to play, which meant it was time to light the candle.

I tried to light the candle on my own, but my hand was shaking and it wouldn't light, which made me cry harder.

I felt a hand on my hand, and it guided me in lighting the final candle. I turned around and found Alex standing behind me.

He then led me outside, to the hall outside the room where the reception was.

He held me in his arms as I cried, "It's ok, Sam. I promise, I'm here. I'll always be here", he said.

And I then kissed him. Right there. Outside my Bat Mitzvah. As Over The Rainbow played over the speakers, and flooded into the hallway. And he kissed me back.

Author's Note: Yes, I know this sucked. This was written while in the car, so I'm sorry for typos. But yay, Alex and Sam finally kissed! I kinda screamed while writing that part, and my mom looked at me like I was nuts. I'm super excited for you guys to see what direction this story is going in! An update is coming within the next few days, so you guys don't have to wait too long!

💛 Beth