Chapter 18

"We look like hookers" Quinn fixed her skirt as she stared at herself in the mirror."Classy hookers" She added, shrugging. I snorted, slapping her butt with little force. Can 'classy' and 'hooker' even be a combo?

"They think we're stupid little girls. They think we can't play their own game. But they're wrong" I shrugged. To be honest I didn't know what that attitude was or what the hell I was doing. Perhaps, I uncovered a new side of me?

She bit her lip, grinning at me."I must say, this is exciting!"

"It is! We're the shit!" I encouraged, slipping into a body-tight dress. It was blood red. Should I repeat? Red. Yeah, not a color I usually wore.

"Wow!" Quinn whistled, wiggling her eyebrows at me. I blushed and walked up to the mirror in my hooker dress and black heels. Is that...me? I always wore a leather skirt with a low cut v-neck to work...and that already seemed quite revealing. But this...This is no flouncy skirt and top. This is every curve of my body on display. Everything I never show off... on display. For everyone's eyes to see.

"I don't know if I can pull this off" I managed to say. She scoffed and fixed the back of my hair, separating the freshly curled strands."No, seriously" I turned to look at her, biting the inside of my cheek. A habit I thought I rid myself of.

She waved me off, shaking her head."Don't be stupid!"

I pressed my lips into a thin line, gathering my thoughts. I thought I could do it. I thought I could put everything aside and just be young. I really thought I could go through with my plan. But seeing what I saw in the mirror...I realized that it wasn't me. It was someone else.

I was always the grey, tiny mouse that no one noticed. I like to blend in with the background. I never drew attention to myself. So what the hell am I doing?

"Okay, stop!" Quinn waved a hand in front of my face, snapping her fingers to bring me back to reality."I can literally see the panic in your eyes"

I huffed, falling onto my bed.

Ethan wasn't home and I was honestly not surprised. He seemed completely fine with the random girl at the diner. But something in me thought he'd come home anyway. I thought he'd talk me out of going to this stupid party. Why did I think that? I don't know. None of it made any sense to me whatsoever.

"You look amazing, Mel" Quinn sat down next to me."Like, 'model material' amazing"

I shook my head, eyes brimming with tears for no apparent reason. I said it once to Ethan and I'll always say it. I will never feel that way about myself.

"Seriously, Mel" She tried again.

"I don't see it" I shrugged. I see my father...I see my mother. I don't see me. I see years of abuse.

"Wait here" She sprung up and disappeared in the closet for a few seconds. I didn't have much, so I couldn't possibly know what she was thinking of finding in there.

She appeared, hands behind her back."I think this will help you feel more comfortable" She winked. I shrugged, waiting for her to show me.

She put a black leather jacket over my shoulders and clapped excitedly. I got up and stared at the mirror."I guess it covers me a little..." I mumbled. She nodded, patiently waiting for my verdict.

"Fine. We're still going" I sighed.

"Yes!" She cheered, grabbing her clutch and slipping her nude heels on. She looked gorgeous. She was wearing a satin black skirt along with a nude strapless top and nude heels.