Chapter 39

The night slowly came to an end, with the last customers stumbling out of the bar in a drunken state. I scoffed, noticing the snobby woman still sitting in her booth. What is her deal? 

"Tell her we're closing" Meg muttered as she walked passed me. It had been a weird shift, that's for sure. The entire night, Meg did everything she could to avoid me. I just couldn't understand, what for? She walked in on Ethan almost kissing me. What was so wrong with that? I groaned at my inner dilemmas, setting my glass of water down on the counter.

Without further hesitation, I strolled right up to the booth where the woman sat."Ma'am, I'm sorry but we're closing in a few minutes" I pursed my lips, noticing her untouched drink. Why the hell did she order it, if she didn't want it?

She looked up at me, still sending out a stuck-up vibe."Darling, do you mind telling me what your name is?" She spoke calmly, thinking deeply about something. I raised my eyebrows at her. My name?  Why the hell did she need my name? 

"Quinn" I blurted out, saying the first name that came to mind.

She was clearly confused, with her eyebrows furrowed and her eyes squinted."Hmm..." She scanned me from head to toe."Interesting" She sighed, picking up her purse as she muttered something more under her breath. I watched her take out a $100 dollar bill.

"Ma'am, you already paid for your order" I informed her.

"I know," She nodded as she slid the money across the table. "Call it a tip?" She smiled for the first time tonight. I frowned at her, unsure of what to do. With that, she gracefully stood up and walked out of the bar.

What the hell...

***

"Vicki, please listen to me!" The woman begged, glancing at me occasionally. I stood by the door, watching my mom argue with the stranger."The child did nothing wrong, think about that for a second! Do you want her to have the same life as you? Do you?!" The woman shouted in my mom's face. Mom shoved the woman away, shaking her head violently. I cowered away, afraid of what would happen next.

"Get out of here, Julia. I mean it...just get out of here!" My mom shrieked. Her entire body was shaking and I knew what she needed to feel better. Her medicineI ran into the kitchen, standing up on my tiptoes by the kitchen counter.

As soon as my fingertips touched a familiar bag, I grabbed it and ran back to the living room."Here you go, Mommy! I got you your medicine!" I gushed, placing the small clear bag in the palm of her hand.

"Jesus Christ!" The woman gasped, holding a hand up to her mouth.

"What?" Mom scoffed at her as she took the small bag from my hand and then shoved me away."Did you come here to act all righteous? Did you forget where you came from?"

"Vicki," The woman shook her head, frowning at me as she spoke to my mom."A 5-year-old child shouldn't be in this environment, can't you see that? She's running off to bring you drugs, because she thinks it's your medicine, for crying out loud!"

"That's none of your business!" Mom opened the tiny bag and spilled its contents onto the coffee table. I stood there, looking down at her.