Chapter 36

"You're almost back to your normal weight, Ms. Deen" The doctor smiled down at me with a thick folder in her arms. I grew close to her over the time I had spent there in the hospital.

When I first brought here, I was considered a heavy case. I was malnourished and definitely underweight, considering the fact that Mark hadn't fed me throughout my entire time in that warehouse. George gave me a granola bar, but we all know it wasn't enough. Not only that, but I also started getting nightmares every night I spent in the hospital. They consisted of all my mother's boyfriends, Mark, his minions who tortured me, and worst of all...I had nightmares of my father's death. After what one of Mark's men told me, I couldn't let it out of my head. Graphic images of Mark's men stabbing my father to death...haunted me almost every night. To add to all the fun, I had a few broken bones here and there, a fucked up eye, and we can't forget the frickin' dagger in my thigh.

Now, I wasn't afraid to look in the mirror. I wasn't completely back to normal yet, but I was getting there. That was all that really mattered.

"And I think you'll be happy to hear that you have a visitor!" The doctor finished taking my vitals, giving me a little pat on the shoulder. I looked up, scrunching my eyebrows. My visitors consisted of Meg, Dylan, Quinn, and Trent. Notice the lack of one particular name? Better yet, the lack of one very very important name. Ethan. Yep, he hasn't visited me yet.

Quinn said that both of them, Ethan and Trent, had a lot going on because of the trials regarding Mark's gang and what not. I understood all of that...but I wanted to hear all about it from Ethan, not Quinn. I thought that after that nightmare, he would stop hiding everything from me. I thought that he would finally be honest. Yet, here we are.

"And why would I be happy?" I grunted, already knowing it wouldn't be Ethan.

"Well, he seemed very eager to see you" She winked, standing at the end of my hospital bed. My heart stopped for a second, picturing Ethan's worried face. Could it really be him?  "He even pulled some strings to add his name to your visitor list...not that I was allowed to tell you that" She laughed at my shocked expression. With that, she walked out of the room.

Pulled some strings?  That certainly sounded like Ethan. I just couldn't believe that he was finally going to visit me. I had spent so much time in that hospital bed, thinking of the day he would come in and just...hug me. A hug was all I wanted. Maybe we would talk about us, maybe something would clear up in that hazy mind of mine...maybe we would be more than-

"Melanie"

I looked up at the person who interrupted my thoughts, completely taken by surprise."Oh..." I mumbled, meeting his uncomfortable gaze.

"Sorry" He rubbed the back of his neck, cringing at the situation." You were expecting someone else..."

"No, stop" I shook my head as he turned to leave."I'm the one who should be sorry. I didn't mean to greet you like that. I was just thinking about something...and..."

"It's okay. I get it" He smiled, visibly relaxing at that. I smiled back, relief washing over me as he walked up to my bed."I brought you some fruit...I wasn't sure what you liked" He placed a bag full of various fruits onto my nightstand.

My smile grew as I watched him. I wasn't expecting him of all people to come and visit me. I would be lying if I said that it didn't feel strange."Thank you, you didn't have to bring anything" I looked up at him. He reminded me of when I found out my mother had been in a car crash. The way he so kindly helped me down the stairs. I knew he was a good person. Despite my suspicion at first, knowing he was a cop."You can sit down on my bed if you want" There was an awkward feeling to the air so I decided I would try and make him feel comfortable.