Chapter 49

Melanie's POV

I counted the money in my hands as I walked back to the motel. I took my mother's shift at the club, despite really not wanting to. I needed to pay for my room at the motel and I desperately needed a drink.

The boss was a complete asshole, telling me he'll beat the shit out of my mom if she doesn't come to work again. Jokes on him. She's never coming to work again. But he didn't need to know that. All I needed was cash and I got it. The tips were amazing.

As I walked, I noticed a liquor store across the street. It practically called my name, so I crossed the street and headed inside.

I picked out three bottles of whiskey and quickly paid for them. The nagging fear of meeting someone I knew, wouldn't leave me alone. So I hurried outside of the shop and took the shorter route to the motel.

''Here'' I dropped the right amount of cash onto the reception desk as soon as I walked in.

''Thank you'' The girl sniffled quietly.

This made me snap my head up at her. I immediately noticed the huge bruise forming on her cheekbone and the zipper from her skirt was ripped off.''What happened?'' I asked, suddenly feeling on edge.

''Oh, it's nothing'' She waved me off, pulling herself together. I furrowed my eyebrows, anger rising in the pit of my empty stomach.

''Who did it?'' I interrogated.

Her eyes widened, suddenly speechless. I wasn't sure what caused this reaction until I felt a big hand connect with my ass. This fucking asshole. ''Him?'' I asked her before turning to face the dipshit who dared to lay a finger on this innocent girl.

''Yes!'' She squeaked with fear.

I let my emotionless eyes bore into the vile man's bloodshot ones. He felt like a king. I could see it in his gaze. But hitting and sexually harassing young girls never made anyone a king. At least not in my world. I was about to wipe that smirk right off his face.

''You staying here, sugar?'' He slurred, placing a sloppy hand on my waist. I looked down at his hand, trying to suppress my disgust.

With one swift motion, I grabbed his hand with both of mine and twisted it behind his back, making him cry out in agonizing pain. I took that as my chance to lift my leg up and kick his spine. He collapsed to the ground with my determined frame right on his back. I pushed his hand further, causing an even louder cry to escape his drunken mouth. I grabbed a fistful of his hair and slammed his head against the ground multiple times, with all the strength I could muster. His face was immediately splattered with his own blood, probably from his broken nose and slit eyebrow.

It felt amazing.

It finally felt like I was winning. Like I beat all my abusers.

I felt euphoric.

''Watch out!'' The girl screamed, pulling me out of my ecstatic state of mind. But it was too late. Far too late. He was already on top of me, his hand had already curled into a fist and it flying towards my jaw.

I closed my eyes, accepting my faith. At least I stood up for her like I always wished someone would stand up for me. Like I always wished my mother would stand up for me.

At least I did something.

I felt good about myself.

***

''No, Officer, she did nothing wrong. She was defending me! And suddenly, he attacked her. It all happened so fast! As soon as he saw me calling the cops, he ran out''