Chapter 44

I held the cold glass up to my lips, taking a long sip of the burning liquor. Was it my fourth glass... fifth? Maybe sixth. Who knows?

"So, are you just going to drink your sorrows away without a single word of explanation?" Dylan asked me as he placed an overflowing box of bear on the counter, huffing from carrying the weight of it.

"Mhm," I waved him off, focusing on the new crowd piling into the bar. Among the five drunk guys, one, in particular, caught my eye. He was blonde, had dark brown eyes and appeared to be only a little bit taller than me. The complete opposite of Ethan. Perfect!

Speaking of the devil...

Ethan walked up to me, grabbing the glass of whiskey out of my hand with obvious force."That's enough for you" He spoke sternly, clearly trying to stay calm but failing.

I scoffed in his face an slid off the island easily."Dylan, I'll go serve that booth for you" I smiled sweetly, catching Ethan's attention. His gaze traveled to the new group of drunk guys sitting in a booth and I could see his hands turn to fists.

"Alright..." Dylan's eyes jumped from me to Ethan with a confused expression.

I walked off, swaying my hips ever so slightly just to push Ethan's buttons a little more.

The group of guys looked up with interested smiles. I watched as their eyes traveled down my figure.

This wasn't exactly surprising to me because I had to change into Meg's skimpiest dress she had left here at work. It was a black body-hugging satin dress. 

I would be lying if I said that I felt comfortable wearing it for a whole shift

I would be lying if I said that I felt comfortable wearing it for a whole shift. But it was way better than wearing a cop's t-shirt in a bar full of all kinds of people...

"Hello, darling!" A guy with dark brown hair, blue eyes, and a charming smile spoke up. He was trying his best to seem sober but his drooping eyes were a dead give away. I smiled at him in response.

"What can I get you guys?" I asked them all sweetly, feeling a pair of painfully familiar green eyes burn a hole through my back. Must suck to watch the person you have feelings for flirt with someone else, huh?

"What can you offer?" The guy with a charming smile an blue eyes smirked in a cheeky way, eyeing me from head to toe.

"Get your head out of the gutter, bro" The attractive blonde spoke up, sounding completely sober."Let the girl do her job" He added.

"The name's Melanie" I gave him a pointed look.

"I don't remember asking, but nice to meet you" He smirked a little, keeping his eyes on mine. I felt a slight blush creep up onto my face but I quickly shook the feeling off. That's what you get for drinking at work, Mel.

"Would you be a doll and get my boys here some beer" His eyes twinkled with mischief, telling me he had something in mind. Something that made me squirm.