Chapter 48

It had been a few days since Meg told me to leave.

Yeah, I took it literally.

I stopped going to school and I hadn't been to the bar since then either. Why? You might ask. I figured everyone's life would be better without me. I was a burden and it was obvious. I ruined everyone's life with all my constant problems. I was the forever damsel in distress and I was so fucking tired of it. I just had to leave them all alone. It was for the better.

Why haven't I been going to school?

Well, what's the point? I mean, who was I trying to fool? I wouldn't graduate like I wanted to. I would never get anywhere in life even if I did because it's in my genes. It's in my genes to fuck up all the fucking time.

With that, I walked out of my motel room with a half-empty whiskey bottle in my left hand. I had officially lost count of how many of those I drank. Money was running low but I couldn't stop. I had to keep drinking. I felt as if I were drowning, and to keep my head up above the water...I had to drink. Only time would decide when I would finally allow myself to disappear under the water forever. And I couldn't wait much longer.

I also didn't have all my clothes, so I was stuck wearing the same outfit over and over again. Washing it when needed, of course. Today, I decided to ditch my usual leather jacket because it was rather warm outside. Comforting sun rays crept in through the windows as I walked down the narrow hallway, sipping every so often on my whiskey.

''Ms.Deen, I'd like to remind you about the payment for your room'' The young girl at the reception desk spoke to me in a mannerly way. I was taken by surprise. This motel was one of the trashiest and cheapest in our town. She was clearly new to this. No one would talk this way here. People who worked here hated their lives with passion. They certainly weren't going to sit at that reception desk all smiles.

''I'll pay when I come back'' I finally replied, still startled by her politeness. Her face fell a little at this, losing her polite smile.''I promise, I will'' I chuckled and headed out the door. I knew how bad some of the people, who stayed at motels like these, were. I wasn't planning on making this poor girl's life any worse than it already was. I just needed to get the money first.

And my mother taught me exactly how to do that when you had no other choice.

***

Tyler's POV

I swiftly parked my cop car outside the department and jumped out, finishing a quick call I had to make.

''Ah, Julia Burn'' I greeted the woman who was patiently waiting for me outside the department.

My shift just ended and I was honestly dying to go home and sleep. However, seeing Melanie's aunt waiting for me outside wasn't a good sign. I was in for some overtime and as always, I didn't even mind it. After all, this could be something to do with Melanie. And for Melanie, I would do anything.