Chapter 50

I strolled in through the school entrance, drawing all the eyes to myself. There were people left and right, staring and whispering. I was the talk of the week, and I knew it would be this way. Quinn kept me updated about the rumors going around school.

I made it to my locker, nervously slipping my backpack off my shoulder.

''I heard her mom killed herself because her father was a druggie'' Trish snickered to one of her minions, from three lockers down. I rolled my eyes, feeling the sudden need to give her a piece of my mind.

Fortunately, Quinn beat me to it.

''Go back to Hoeville, Trish'' She smiled sweetly at her as if it were a compliment. Trish scoffed but scampered away along with her pathetic minion.

''So good to see you back, Mel'' Quinn whispered into my ear as she pulled me into a hug.

''Its good to see you too'' I chuckled, patting her back before she pulled away.''Is Ethan here? Have you seen him?'' I asked immediately, catching her attention.

She struggled to find an answer, making me furrow my eyebrows.''He's been, uh...around'' She avoided eye contact, convincing me something was very wrong.

around'' She avoided eye contact, convincing me something was very wrong

''Quinn'' I gave her a look.

''I can't!'' She admitted, running a hand down her neat braid.''I promised I wouldn't tell you'' She sighed, still avoiding my eyes.

''Promised who?" I didn't back down.

''Trent'' She huffed, finally letting her eyes meet mine.''Ethan's going through...stuff, and he asked Trent not to tell you anything. So that means, I can't tell you either. But trust me, if I could, I would'' She explained a little more, trying not to let anything slip.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Something's wrong. Something's very very wrong.

''Mel, just drop it. At least for now...'' She begged.

''Okay, fine!'' I rolled my eyes as I stuffed books into my backpack. What did he not want me to know? Did he not want me around anymore? Was he mad at me? Shouldn't I be mad at him?

''Anyways, can you come to my mom's funeral with me? Julia will be there too but I just need you there...'' I switched the subject to get my mind off Ethan.

''Um, yeah, sure'' She agreed as she also placed her books into her locker.''How is she by the way? Is she nice?''

''Julia? Yeah, she's really nice. So nice that I feel like I don't deserve her...'' I muttered, suddenly feeling down.

''Stop that'' Quinn groaned, glaring at me.''You deserve the whole world, Melanie Deen''

I rolled my eyes. Holy cheese balls, that's cheesy.

''Do you think your father was like her? Nice, I mean'' She let her mind wander, forgetting just how touchy of a subject it was for me.

''I mean, don't know. As nice as a drug dealer can be, I suppose'' I huffed, feeling a pang in my chest. I never knew him, remember?