Chapter 34

Ethan's P.O.V

"You and the gang enter through the main doors of the warehouse, as expected by Mark. You'll have the goods for the supposed deal. Make sure to question the location, so that he's sure that you're clueless about the abduction of Melanie" Tyler Hunt spoke carefully, eyeing me with that serious stare that he had. Trent and I were riding with Hunt and his team in the back of a disguised van.

This was the last recital of our plan before we sprung into action. And boy was I ready.

"Melanie Deen will most likely be hidden, so no one from your gang sees her. Mark is too smart to let you catch on to something. So our team will figure that one out on the spot, with a thermographic camera" He popped it out of its bag, showing the incredibly helpful device. With the help of that camera, the cops would be able to find exactly where Mel is. Then, they'll be able to come up with the safest and quickest way to get her out of there.

"You and Trent will each have an earpiece, so we'll keep you updated on everything. Our people will be outside, covering the perimeter. Once all of Mark's people are inside, you will be notified. From there on, we have to be on the same page. No surprises, alright? Now, remember, it needs to be perfect. Don't rush into it. Stay calm and collected. Remember who this is for" His voice grew quieter and both Trent and I nodded solemnly. As much as I hated him crawling out of his skin to get her attention, I couldn't help but agree with him.

This was for Mel.

"Hopefully, we will succeed...with no casualties involved" He muttered to himself, anxiously glancing at all of his men. They were all rather young, and I noticed that straight away.

Initially, Hunt wasn't even working on this case. I made him get involved. Partly because he had been very successful with the cases he was assigned to. He was aiming higher and higher with every case. And I knew that this one would end successfully. But the main reason why I wanted him working with us, was because I was sure that he wouldn't let anything happen to Melanie.
I trusted him with this case.

I knew he had a thing for her. I mean, who wouldn't?

"What if they see the earpieces?" Trent asked, tightening the bulletproof vest around his torso. The cops handed them to us as soon as we got into the van. I already had mine on, under my sweatshirt. At first, I didn't want to wear it because I was no coward, and death didn't scare me in any way. But then, Trent reminded me that this is for my sister, for Nathan, for Melanie.
I had to be alive to see the cops put away Mark for good. I needed to finally witness that. Besides, I still needed to confess something to a certain someone.

And I needed to save her, to do so.

Tyler's squad was heading to the warehouse to find a good waiting-out spot. They would need to stay well hidden until all of Mark's people were inside. As for Trent and I, we were heading to my house. We had to go meet up with our gang, just like any other deal. Except this deal, was quite different.

"Let's hope that doesn't happen" Tyler Hunt pressed his lips into a thin line. He was overthinking it already. The stress on his face showed just how young he was.

They wouldn't notice the earpieces, Trent's beanie was long enough to cover it. And I would just pull the hood of my jacket over my head, as I always do.

I gave Tyler a light pat on the back."We can do it" I assured him, slipping my jacket over the sweatshirt. He gave me an unsure look but nodded anyway. I looked around at every single one of his people. They had been quiet all this time, lost in their thoughts. I'd be quiet too if I was a young cop about to storm a huge drug deal. And not just any drug deal. Our town's main gangs, both in one place...at the same time. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. But I wouldn't let that happen.