Chapter 45

"So, Melanie, right?" Jackson spoke with a curious glint in his eyes."What's the reason for all this drinking?'' He chuckled, placing a very gentle hand on my knee.

I looked down at his tan hand, feeling the alcohol rise in my throat. This isn't right...

We had been to three other bars by then, and I was definitely starting to feel wasted. My senses were unresponsive and my mind was clouded. All I knew was that it was all incredibly fun...and to my great surprise, super easy.

Jackson was a whole new person. He didn't know anything about me and that made me feel like a completely normal person.

''Can you stop the car?'' I blurted out, trying to keep the burning alcohol down.

The car quickly came to a halt on the side of the road and I quickly jumped out, heaving over and emptying the contents of my stomach immediately. Wow. I am beauty...I am grace.

''Whatever the reason, it's not worth it'' Jackson spoke up again from the car.

I stood up straight, taking a deep breath, and looking out into the night. It was breezy but comforting.''You're right about that one...'' I agreed.

''Come on, I'll take you home''

Home? I wish I had one. I wish someone cared enough about me and took me away from my crazy mother. I wish my aunt, my only relative left other than my mom, would have cared enough to come and get me. I wish she fought harder for me. I wish everything was different...

My eyes glazed over with hot tears and I refused to look at him. He doesn't know anything about me...

I slowly lowered myself onto my knees. Exhaustion and intoxication took over and I broke down in tears.

''Melanie,'' Jackson called and when I didn't answer him, he sighed and I could hear him getting out of the car.''Come on, talk to me'''

I wiped my tears away with the back of my hand, smearing my mascara in the process. ''What is there to talk about? You wouldn't want to hear all of that shit...it's pointless'' I shook my head, finally getting up off the filthy ground. My legs were now covered in dirt and I just knew I looked like a big mess. And I sure as hell felt like one too.

''I know I seem like a typical asshole, but I'm not. I can tell there's something bothering you and I can't just pretend like everything's fine. You know, it's important to make sure a struggling person is capable of dealing with their struggles. It's the least you can do...to just make sure they can take it. To make sure it won't be the end of them...'' He got lost in thought, speaking everything that was on his mind.''Because if in the end, it turns out they can't take it...you'll be damn sorry you never asked'' He added, looking up at the sky with the heaviest gaze I had ever seen.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

''And before you ask,'' He chuckled sadly as he brought his gaze back down to me.''I am damn sorry I never asked when I should have...so please, just tell me what's bothering you'' He begged with his eyes, convincing me to tell him everything.

And I did.

I told him everything. Every single thing that happened in the last few months. I even told him about my childhood. 

And he listened.

It felt like we were there for ages, just talking.

At first, we were talking about my shitty life. After a while, he decided to open up to me as well. So he told me about a girl he loved and how she committed suicide a while ago. I tried to tell him it wasn't his fault, but he insisted that it was. He told me how it happened and suddenly, his speech about listening to people's struggles made sense. I hugged him.