Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Later that Night~

Slowly stirring from my sleep, I quietly looked around the room at all the familiar sleeping faces. My mom and the girls had all stayed to finish unpacking but manage to tire themselves out right after midnight. Quietly laying back down on the couch, I was almost pulled back into sleep when I heard it. The noise that had woken me in the first place. It sounded like metal tapping metal.

As the noise continued, I eased off the couch while quietly tiptoeing over everyone before making my way to the stairs. Upon reaching the top of the staircase, the noise stopped while I stood still holding my breath. Just when I thought that it'd never resume, the noise started up once again but almost quieter than before. Slowly walking down the empty hallway, I eventually came upon a closed door with light seeping from beneath it. Taking a deep breath, I quickly flung the door open while surprising the individual in the process. "What are you doing up?" I questioned as he quietly held his chest.

"You nearly gave me a heart attack!" Aiden quietly exclaimed while ushering me into the room as I closed the door behind me. "Did I wake you?" He asked while looking up at me from his current position on the floor. Surrounding Aiden were screw and rails while his tools laid in his lap.

"No, but what are you doing up at this time of night?" I replied back while scooting some things away from in front of him before taking a seat as he started panicking.

"There's no need for you to sit on the floor with me! Really, it's okay." He fussed while taking his tools off his lap and placing them to his side as I gave him a look. "I'm up because I couldn't sleep." He stated as I urged him to continue. "It's a new house and all. It's different from the apartment, I guess." He quietly stated as I gently took his hand in mine.

"Aiden, what's really bothering you?" I asked as he squeezed my hand before meeting my eyes. "You can tell me anything, my love." I smiled while caressing his hand.

"I know that there'll be times where you're home by yourself especially when I'm at work." He stated while casting his eyes away. "And in those times while I'm gone, what if something happens to you and the kids? What if that psycho ignores your threats and warnings and decides to go apeshit while I'm not here? What if I can't make it in time to protect you?" He inquired while avoiding eye contact with me as I frowned before removing my hand from his. Slowly placing my hands on his cheeks, I was able to grab his attention again as his eyes met mine.

"Aiden." I quietly called as his eyes watched me. "I love you so much." I stated with a smile as I could see he still had doubts. "No such thing will happen to us because we are stronger than we were before. If you had told me that two years ago, I'd be shaking in my boots and filled with terror." I smiled while gently caressing his cheeks. "But, I'm not that same woman from two years ago who was scared of the world because of that man. I'm much braver now thanks to you, my family and my friends. As long as I have such a supportive team behind me, we'll be fine." I stated while leaning towards him. "I'll never let that man destroy what we've made for ourselves now." I whispered while kissing Aiden as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Okay, but at least let me install some type of home security. It'll ease my worries just a little." He stated as I nodded. "Good, I'll get that done tomorrow. Now, shall we go rest or do you want to help me with this?" He asked as I looked around at the messy room.

"Rest sounds good. We can finish this room tomorrow." I stated while standing up as he quietly nodded. We were going to be just fine.

[~~~]

The Next Morning

We continued working in the garden while Aiden and the others assisted in unpacking the boxes and moving in the rest of the furniture. Everything was falling into place and the rooms were turning out great. Aiden also started to convince the others to baby proof the house for Raigh-lee while hinting that I was also in trouble of being clumsy.

"Natalie, are you listening?" My mother called from next to me as she continued planting some vegetables. "These — right here — should be full grown in the next few weeks so make sure you're watering them everyday. These plants are also your children. You want to make sure they grow big and healthy. Understand?"

"Yes, gramma!" Raigh-lee called from in front of us while gently patting the dirt where Daisy had just planted a vegetable seed. "See! I did it mommy!" She excitedly called as I gently patted her head.

"Great job, baby." I praised as we quietly awed at her. We spent the rest of the day making the new house feel like home while playing around.

///////\\\\\\\////////

New chapter? Indeed.
Shorter? Yes, I'm sorry.
I'll be back with more updates soon.

Andrea ♡