XXIV. Dust in the Wind (Part I)

Season Two

[In My Time of Dying]

Sam woke up and swallowed. The demon pulled the driver's side door off its hinges and Sam pointed the Colt at him.

"Back." Sam ordered. "Or I'll kill you. I swear to God."

"You won't. You're saving the bullet for someone else."

Sam cocked the gun. "You wanna bet?"

The demon smiled before releasing the smoke, causing the man to collapse. Sam uncocked the gun and dropped his head in relief.

"Oh my God!" The man cried, seeing the scene before his eyes.

"Dad?" Sam asked.

"Did I do this?"

"Dad! Dean? Holly? Dean! Holly!"

A rescue helicopter came the next morning and Sam was awake, but his family was still unconscious.

The male paramedic looked over Dean. "Significant passenger side intrusion. Unresponsive. BP is 180 over 60, heart rate 95, 95."

Sam started fidgeting, trying to see his family. "You have to stay still!" The female paramedic told him.

"Are they even alive?" Sam asked.

Holly woke up in the hospital and stretched out her arm. She was wearing a white t-shirt and blue hospital pants. She hopped out of bed, noticing that she was barefoot.

She walked into the hallway. "Sam? Dad? Dean? Anybody?"

Holly made her way down the stairs and after some wrong turns, found the nurse's station. "Hi. 'Scuse me. I'm pretty sure I was in a car accident and I need to find my dad and brothers."

The nurse didn't answer. "Hello?" Holly clapped in front of the nurse's face. "Useless."

Holly ran back to her room, not seeing Dean standing in his room as she passed, and saw herself. She was intubated, and Holly didn't have to try to figure out what was happening. She knew she was dying.

She walked to Dean's room to see him, and Dean's eyes widened. "Holly!"

"Dean? You can see me?"

He nodded and hugged her tightly. "Oh, thank God!"

"Dean, I think we're dying. I have a tube in my throat."

"I know. I do too."

Sam entered the room and the siblings looked at him. Sam had seen Holly, and he had to leave for fear of a breakdown. Somehow, seeing Dean was easier.

"Sammy!" Dean cried. "You look good. Considering."

"Oh, no." Sam said.

Holly frowned. "Sam? Hey."

Holly and Dean exchanged a look and he said, "Man, tell me you can hear us."

She shook her head sadly. "I don't think he can."

Dean took her hand and asked, "How's Dad? Is he okay? Come on, you're the psychic. Give me some ghost whispering or something!"

The doctor entered Dean's room. "Your father's awake. You can go see him if you like."

"Thank God." Dean and Holly said.

Sam frowned. "Doc, what about my brother and sister?"

"Well, they sustained serious injury: blood loss, contusions to their liver and your brother's kidney. But it's the head trauma that I'm worried about. There's early signs of cerebral edema. Your sister has some serious injuries to her abdomen that are of concern."