XLV. With a Little Luck (Part I)

[Bad Day at Black Rock]

As Dean drove down a dark, quiet road, the boys were arguing, Holly occasionally interjecting.

Dean frowned. "Because demon, that's why. I mean, the second you find out this Ruby chick is a demon, you go for the holy water. You don't chat! Right, Holly?"

Holly sighed, irritated to be put on the spot. "Yeah."

Sam glared at them. "No one was chatting, Dean, Holly."

Dean raised an eyebrow. "Oh yeah? Then why didn't you or Holly send her ass straight back to Hell?"

"Excuse me, I was busy trying to kill some demons!" Holly protested. "I didn't even know Sam talked to that Ruby chick until the end. By the time I realized she was a demon, she was gone!"

Sam frowned. "Because--Because she said she might be able to help us out."

"How?" Dean demanded. Sam paused. "No, really, Sam, how? How could she possibly help us?"

"She told me she could help you, okay?"

Dean looked at Sam, obviously not believing him. "Help you out of the crossroad deal."

"What's wrong with you, huh? She's lying. You know that, don't you? She knows what your weakness is. It's me and Holly." After a moment's pause, Dean asked, "What else did she say?" Sam was silent. "Dude?"

"Nothing." He paused. "Nothing, okay?! Look, I'm not an idiot, Dean, Holly. I'm not talking about trusting her. I'm talking about using her. I mean, we're at war, right? And we don't know jack about the enemy. We don't know where they are, we don't know what they're doing. I mean, hell, we don't know what they want. Now this Ruby girl knows more than we will ever find out on our own. Now yes, it's a risk. I know that, but we need to take it."

"You're okay, right? I mean you're feeling okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Why are you always asking me that?"

A phone started ringing and Sam reached for his own. "It's not mine."

Dean went for his. "Nope. Holly?"

She shook her head. "Not mine. Check the glove compartment. I think it's Dad's."

"Dad's?" Sam repeated.

Dean nodded. "Yes. I keep it charged up in case any of his old contacts call."

Sam opened the glove compartment and pulled it out to answer. "Hello? Yes...this is Edgar Cayce...No, no, no, no, don't--don't call the police, I'll handle this myself. Thanks. You know, can you just uh, can you just lock it back up for me? Great. Uhm, I--I uh, I don't have my--my book in front of me." He gestured to Dean for a pen. "Do you--Do you have the address so I can...Sure, okay. Go ahead. Right, thanks a lot."

Sam ended the call and glanced to his siblings. "Dad ever tell you two he kept a container at a storage place?"

"What?" Dean asked.

"Outside of Buffalo."

"No friggin' way." Holly said with a grin.

Sam nodded. "Yeah. And someone just broke into it."

They made their way to the storage facility and went down the elevator. "Man..." Dean muttered.

"What?" Sam and Holly asked.

"Just Dad. You know him and his secrets. Spend all this time with the guy and it's like we barely even know the man."

Holly nodded. "He's like a superhero hiding his identity."