LXII. Ramblin' Man (Part II)

They made their way to where Mary was and Dean said, "We're shoving off. We just wanted to say bye."

Mary frowned. "Really? So soon?"

Holly nodded. "Yeah. We got a job to do."

Dean added, "Hey, I, we wanted to--to tell you, you know for what it's worth. Um...it doesn't matter what your dad thinks. We like that John kid."

Mary smiled. "You do?"

Holly grinned. "Yeah. Yeah, the two of us think you two are meant to be."

In a soft tone, Dean said, "Hell, we're depending on it."

"What?" Mary asked.

"Nothing. Um, can I ask you a question?" Mary nodded. "What's he like? John."

Mary's brow furrowed. "Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

"I don't know. He's sweet, kind. Even after the war, after everything, he still believes in a happily ever after, you know? He's everything a hunter isn't. No offense."

Holly shook her head. "None taken."

"Can I tell you two something?"

Dean and Holly nodded. "He's gonna ask me to marry him. Tomorrow, I think!"

"Yeah?" Dean replied.

"Oh, Dad's gonna explode, but I don't care. I'll run away if I have to, I just...I love John, and..."

"And what?" Holly pressed.

"I wanna get out. This job, this life, I hate it. I want a family. I wanna be safe. You know the worst thing I can think of? The very worst thing? Is for my children to be raised into this like I was. No, I won't let it happen."

Dean blinked back tears and took his sister's hand. "Yeah..."

Mary noticed their expressions. "Hey are you two okay?"

Holly nodded as Dean said, "Yeah, no, we're--we're fine. Hey, uh, Mary, can I tell you something?"

"Sure."

"Even if this sounds really weird. Will you promise me that you will remember?"

"Okay."

"On November 2, 1986, don't get out of bed. No matter what you hear, or what you see. Promise me you won't get out of bed."

"Okay."

A tear ran down his face as he smiled at Mary before he and Holly left.

On the road, Holly was sleeping in the back and Dean was driving.

Castiel appeared next to Dean and he inhaled sharply. "So what? God's my co-pilot, is that it?"

Castiel stared at him and Dean glanced over. "Well, you're a regular Chatty Cathy. Tell me something. Sam would have wanted in on this. Why not bring him back?"

"You and Holly had to do this alone, Dean."

"And you don't care that he's tearing up the future looking for us right now?"

"Sam's not looking for you two."

Holly frowned. "He's not?"

Dean glanced at her sadly before saying, "Alright, if we do this, then the family curse breaks, right? Mom and Dad live happily ever after, and--and Sam, Holly, and I grow up playing little league, doing ballet, and chasing tail?"

"You realize, if you two do alter the future, your father, you, Sam, Holly--you'll never become hunters. And all those people you saved, they'll die."