LXXVI. (76) Fooling Yourself (Part II)

Bobby stared Dean down. "I'm gonna ask one more time. Are we absolutely sure we're doing the right thing?"

"Bobby, you saw what was happening to him down there. The demon blood is killing him."

"No, it isn't. We are."

"What?" Dean and Holly asked.

"I'm sorry. I can't bite my tongue any longer. We're killing him. Keeping him locked up down there. This cold-turkey thing isn't working. If--if he doesn't get what he needs, soon, Sam's not gonna last much longer."

Dean crossed his arms. "No. I'm not giving him demon blood. I won't do it."

"And if he dies?"

"Then at least he dies human!"

Holly pursed her lips. Usually she agreed with her brother, but Bobby was right. They were killing Sam, and as much as she hated his reliance on demon blood, he needed it. Without it, he'd die.

After a moment, Dean said, "I would die for him in a second, but I won't let him do this to himself. I can't. I guess I found my line. I won't let my brother turn into a monster."

Holly left to get some air, and when she returned, Bobby and Dean had disappeared. "Dean? Bobby?"

"Down here!" Dean's voice called from the basement.

She made her way down and saw the panic room door open. She saw busted devil's traps. "What happened? How'd he escape?"

Bobby turned to her. "We're thinking Ruby." He glanced at Dean. "You think she's got the mojo?"

"I didn't think so. I don't know, man."

"What difference does it make? How he gone ain't as important as where he got gone to."

"Well, I'll tell you one thing. At this point, I hope he's with Ruby."

"Why?"

"Cause killing her's the next big item on our to-do list."

Bobby frowned. "I thought you two were on call for angel duty."

Holly nodded. "We are. In his car, on our way to murder this demon bitch."

Dean and Holly left the room and were stopped by Bobby. "One thing."

Dean turned. "What?"

"Sam don't wanna be found, which means he's gonna be damn near impossible to find."

"Yeah, we'll see."

They walked out to the salvage yard and Bobby said, "Police found my car. Abandoned in an alley in Jamestown, North Dakota."

Dean glanced at Holly. "He's switching it up. Any other stolen cars in Jamestown?"

"Two. 1999 Honda Civic, blue. Nice and anonymous, like Sam likes."

"What was the other one?" Holly questioned.

"White '05 Escalade with custom rims. It's a neon sign."

Dean nodded. "You're right. Which exactly what he did."

"You think?"

Dean and Holly shared a knowing look. "We know that kid. Alright, we'll head in that direction. You stay here, ride the police databases. We gotta find him quick."

As they drove, Bobby spoke to the siblings. "Cops found the Escalade in a ditch outside Elk river."

"How far away are we?"

"A couple of hours. I pulled up a weather map, made some calls. There's a town not far from there, Cold Spring. Lighting up with demon signs."