LXXXIX. (89) Same Old Song and Dance (Part I)

[Sam, Interrupted]

Dr. Fuller looked through a file. The siblings were sitting across from him. "You were referred to me by a Dr. Babar in Chicago."

"That's right." Dean said.

"Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?"

"I don't know. I don't have any elephant books. Look, doctor, I--I--I think the doc was in over his head with this one." Dean pointed to Sam. "Cause my brother is..." He made a crazy sign and whistled, Holly joining in.

"Okay, fine, thank you. That's--that's not really necessary." He grabbed his file and notepad. "Why don't you tell me how you're feeling, Alex?"

Sam sighed. "I'm fine. I mean, okay, a little depressed, I guess."

Dr. Fuller wrote in his notepad. "Okay. Any idea why?"

"Probably because I started the apocalypse."

"The apocalypse?"

"Yeah, that's right."

Dr. Fuller looked at Dean and Holly and they smiled. "And you think you started it?"

"Well, yeah, I mean...I killed this demon, Lilith, and I accidentally freed Lucifer from hell. So now, he's topside, and we're trying to stop him."

Dr. Fulled looked between Dean and Holly who had exasperated looks. "Who is?"

"Me a-and them." He pointed to his siblings. "And this one angel."

"Oh, you mean, like a...like an angel on your shoulder."

"No. His name's Castiel. He wears a trench coat."

Dr. Fuller resumed his notes as Dean said, "See what I mean, Doc? The kid's been beating himself up about this for months. The apocalypse wasn't his fault."

Dr. Fulled looked up at Dean. "It's not?"

"No. There was this other demon, Ruby. She got him addicted to demon blood, and near the end, he was practically chugging the stuff."

Dr. Fuller looked at Sam who looked ashamed. He glanced at Holly to see that she was nodding along, but it was obvious something was wrong. He turned back to Dean.

Dean continued, "My brother's not evil. He was just...high...yeah? So could you fix him up so we can get back to traveling around and hunting monsters?"

Dr. Fuller put up a finger for them to wait. He picked up his phone and dialed an extension. "Irma...cancel my lunch."

As the doctor hung up, he patted Sam comfortingly on the arm and glanced to his sister with worry. She hadn't said a word and he knew that could only mean trouble. When Holly bottled things in, things could get ugly.

An extremely happy nurse led the siblings down the hall. "Dr. Fuller would like to keep you three under observation for a couple of days."

Dean frowned. "Three? Me and her?"

"Yes, Sugar. The doctor thinks that would be best."

The siblings gave each other victorious smiles.

Happy nurse wrapped a blood pressure cuff around cuff around Holly's right arm. "Alright, I'm just gonna give you a little check-up."

Holly narrowed her eyes. "Just so you know, that authoritative, soul-crushing crap doesn't work on me. I've seen Cuckoo's Nest more times than I can count."

The nurse smiled. "Okie-dokie."

Holly frowned and smiled uncomfortably.

Dean was leaning against the back of a couch. Holly saw Sam there too. Dean looked up at her and asked, "How was your Silkwood shower?"