XXXVI. Won't Get Fooled Again (Part I)

[Tall Tales]

One Week Later

Sam was sitting on the couch looking through his books and rubbed his face tiredly. Dean was sitting on the bed behind him, radio playing, and eating something messy. Holly was drawing and dragged her pencil across her paper. She was singing along to the music, semi-loudly.

Sam looked up at them. "Dude. You mind not eating those on my bed? Holly. You mind not drawing on my bed?"

Dean and Holly glanced at each other and smiled. "No, we don't mind." He ate another. "How's the research going?"

"You know how it's going? Slow. You know how it would go a heck of a lot faster? If I had my computer."

Dean nodded sarcastically. "Hmm."

"Can you turn that down please?"

Yeah, absolutely."

He turned the music up louder and Sam narrowed his eyes. "You know what? Maybe, uh, maybe you should just go somewhere for awhile."

Dean shut off the radio and answered in a snappish tone, "Hey, I've love to. That's a great idea. Unfortunately, my car's been screwed to hell."

"And papers from my sketchbook are gone." Holly added.

"Dean, Holly, I told you, I have nothing to do with--"

A loud knock on the door cut Sam off. He stood and walked to the door. He looked through the peephole and back at his siblings before opening the door. "Hey, Bobby."

Bobby entered and stuck his hands in his pockets. "Boys. Holly."

Dean stood and approached. "Hey, Bobby."

Holly gave a curt nod, glaring between her brothers.

Sam nodded and said, "Yeah, thanks for coming. Come on in."

Dean shook Bobby's hand. "Thank God you're here."

"So um, what didn't you want to talk to me on the phone about?"

"It's this job we're working." Sam replied. "We weren't sure you'd believe us."

"Well, I can believe a lot."

"Yeah, no, no, it's just, we've never seen anything like it..."

"Not even close--" Dean interrupted.

"And we thought we could use some fresh eyes." Holly admitted.

"Well, why don't you begin at the beginning."

Sam nodded. "Yeah, um, alright." He gestured to the bed and Bobby picked up an empty takeout tray and peered at it before setting it aside and sitting down.

Sam then said, "So, it all started when we caught wind of an obit. See, a professor took a nosedive from a fourth story window, only there's a campus legend that the building's haunted. So we pretexted as reporters from the local paper."

They listened to Sam's flashback as to what happened and as Sam was talking about Starla and purple nurples, and Holly flirting with a random young guy, Dean protested. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on a minute."

"What?"

"Come on, dude, that's not how it happened."

"Yeah, and I wasn't sweet-talking some young guy." Holly protested.

"No? So you never drank a purple nurple?"

"Yeah, maybe that, but I don't say things like "feisty little wildcat". And her name wasn't Starla."