F I V E

I take a deep breath and exhale loudly as we step foot into the building. "So, this is where we work, Yeonjun."

He nods and pulls his phone up to his face.

"No, can you keep the phone down for, like, two seconds so you can meet some people?"

Yeonjun groans. "Y/N, I can barely speak English. Do you really think I'm gonna be able to keep up with any sort of conversation?"

Drew looks at me and whispers, "What's he saying? He sounds upset."

I smile. "He's not upset. He's just...annoyed that he can't speak English like everyone else here."

Drew looks at Yeonjun. "Don't worry, kid. We'll help you as much as we can."

Yeonjun blinks. "Is he seriously that stupid?" He chuckles and I slap him on the shoulder.

Drew looks at me. "What? What did I say?"

"Nothing, let's just go introduce him to everyone already," I say, basically dragging them both through the room.

"Y/N!" I hear someone call me from behind. I spin around and my lips instantly break into a wide smile.

"Jessie, how are you?" I pull her into a hug and pull back a few seconds later.

"Oh, I'm doing just great, but a little birdie told me that you got a promotion," she wiggles her eyebrows at me and I chuckle.

I nod. "Finally. I've been waiting for this job for a long time."

"I know, babe, and you totally deserve it," she smiles.

Her gaze travels over to Yeonjun beside me, whose face is stuffed back into his phone.

"This must be your son," she says.

"W-well, he's not really my son. I-I mean, it's just complicated."

Her smile falters. "You always talked about him like he was your son. I'm sorry for assuming."

"No, no, it's alright. He really is like my son, but we're not related by blood or anything like that. I guess I'm just a guardian. We're more like friends," I explain awkwardly.

She looks at me for a second, then back down at Yeonjun. "Well, it's nice to meet you."

Yeonjun doesn't even look up.

"Yeonjun," I tap him on the shoulder.

"Hm," he hums.

"Someone is talking to you," I speak in Korean.

He looks up at Jessie with one of his brilliant smiles. "It's nice to meet you, too, Jessie," he replies in perfect English.

She grins. "Well, I best be off. He seems like a very...bright young man."

She saunters off in the opposite direction. "Yeonjun, you scared her away and now she thinks you're one of those bad kids."

He smirks at me. "Maybe I am." I cringe, making him laugh. "Oh, come on, Noona. You know I don't care what these people think of me."

I nod. "Anyway, I noticed that you paid attention enough to know her name is Jessie even though your eyes were glued to that stupid phone."

"I was part of a gang. You learn to keep your ears open at all times."

My eyes widen at his bluntness, but then remember that most likely no one speaks Korean here. Stupid American school systems. "It wasn't a gang. It was a mafia. Very different."

"Is it though?" He laughs.

Drew motions to me that he's gonna go talk to some of his friends and then he leaves me and Yeonjun. "Hold up," he says, looking in a different direction. "Is that--"