F O U R T E E N

Yeonjun's POV

I bite my lip to hide the quickly emerging smile threatening to grace my lips. Soobin has his fingers laced through mine, massaging the back of my hand with his thumb. He's just so handsome. How did I get lucky enough to be able to call him mine? There's no way I deserve this. But I love it. I love the way he's caring for me and the way that he's worried about me. And I love the way he looks at me. No one's ever looked at me the way Soobin does.

Soobin looks up into my eyes and smiles when he realizes I've been staring. He lifts our intertwined hands and kisses the back of mine softly, nuzzling his face into it and closing his eyes in content.

"I can't believe I almost lost you," he mouths against my skin.

I chuckle, trying to hide the butterflies dancing around in my stomach right now. "We haven't known each other that long. I'm sure you would have coped."

He looks up at me with stern eyes and I quickly look away, the look making me shy.

"No," he says seriously. "It wouldn't have mattered if you were my boyfriend or not. You're my friend and I care about my friends deeper than I care about myself." He shakes his head and looks away, looking close to tears. "If I would have lost you...I don't know if I would have been able to continue on. Losing you on the same day I lost my mom would have killed me. I'm sure of it."

I flinch at the idea of him going through so much pain. I give his hand a little squeeze in an attempt to reassure him. "I'm sorry about your mom, Soobin."

He sighs and looks me deep in the eyes. "I'll be okay."

Even as he's trying to reassure me, I can see the sadness in his eyes. I can see the pain he's in and I know how hard it is for him to hold back tears.

A tear slips down my cheek, but he quickly wipes it away. "Stop, don't do that," Soobin pleads, pressing his forehead against mine. "I'm gonna cry if you start crying."

I let out a chuckle that sounds more like a sob. "I just hate that you're going through all this because of--" I cut myself off quickly, pulling away from Soobin's touch.

Fuck. Why did I say that?

"Because of?" He urges.

I shake my head and try to give him a smile. "N-nothing."

He hesitates to answer but soon pulls his hand from mine. "Do you know something I don't know?"

"H-how could I possibly know anything?"

Soobin stands up, giving me a confused look. "I don't know, but you're giving me that vibe right now."

"Well, I don't," I respond quickly. Probably too quickly.

Soobin visibly gulps but sits back down. "I believe you. I'm just on edge right now."

I reach for his hand again and lace our fingers together once more. "I promise you have nothing to worry about with me. No matter what happens, I will keep you safe. I won't let anything happen to you."

Soobin smiles and shifts forward, closer to me. "You're the only good thing in my life, Junnie," he whispers. "It's probably too early to call this love, right?"

My eyes widen at the word.

He chuckles. "Right, well then, I really like you, Yeonjun."

My teeth take purchase on my bottom lip and I look away, an uncontrollable smile taking over my features. 

I hear Soobin chuckle.

I sneak a look at him and he's looking at me fondly.

"Soobin," I mumble.