S E V E N

"W-what did you just say?" Yeonjun squeaks out.

I bite my lip and run a hand over my face. "Jeongguk is my new boss."

Yeonjun looks down at the floor of our house and stays silent. We're standing in the middle of his bedroom. I waited until after the party to mention this to him.

"What are you thinking about?" I rub his back, trying to comfort him.

I see him visibly gulp as he looks back up at me. "I don't know," he trails off. "I want to see him."

I open my mouth to say something but he puts his hand up.

"I'm not finished," he runs his fingers through his hair and sits down on his bed. "I want to see him, but I'm not going to."

I sigh. "Tell me what you're feeling."

"I don't want to see him because I miss him," he whispers. "I've been doing just fine without him. The only reason I want to see him is so he can look me in the eyes and explain why he left us."

My mind drifts back to when I asked him the exact same question and if Yeonjun had been there to hear his answer, I'm almost positive Jeongguk would have a black eye...at least.

"And I'm not even sure if I wanna know the answer, so," he pauses and takes a deep breath. "I don't need to see him."

I nod. "You're being very mature about this."

"Does he know I'm here?"

I hesitate to answer, scared that this is going to change his mind in some way, but I answer honestly after a few seconds with a nod. "And he wants to see you, but I told him not to look for you. He's already caused us so much pain. I don't want to open your heart back up to that."

He smiles. "You've been more of a parent to me in the last year than he ever tried to be. I think it helps that we're not stuck in that house anymore, but I'm glad I have you."

A tear slips from my eye. "Oh, no." I chuckle as I wipe the tears from my face. "Come here," I hold my arms out to him and he slowly slots himself inside them, hugging me back softly. "I love you, kid."

"I love you, too, Noona," he mumbles into my chest.

I pull back and squint at him. "You're getting so tall," I chuckle and measure him with my hand. "You're gonna be taller than me soon."

"Soobin is super tall. He's like six foot or something..." he mumbles.

I smile. "Yeonjun, you like Soobin, don't you?"

He visibly gulps. "H-he's a great friend."

I hum. "A friend, huh?"

He blushes and looks down at the floor. "He's a...yes, a friend. A gorgeous friend."

I chuckle a reach forward to ruffle his hair. "So, my baby has a crush."

His face scrunches up as he cringes.

"He was pretty cute," I shrug. "You two would look cute together."

"Noona," he whines.

"I'm sorry," I laugh. "I'm just teasing you. But you know I'd love to talk about these things with you. Girls...boys. All of it."

He smiles. "Okay, I promise I'll tell you if and when the time comes that I need to talk about it."

"I'll take it."

☠ ☠ ☠