Chapter 3

After Ross had left, Demelza gave Emma a bowl of porridge, which she ate immediately without waiting for it to cool off. Garrick loped over to the little girl and sat down next to her chair.
"I see Garrick likes you," Demelza said, giving the girl a smile. Emma reached down and petted the dog's head and let him lick her fingers. Her mouth twitched slightly, suggesting a smile.
Prudie, the maid, came downstairs, looking at the ragged girl sitting at the table. She grumbled something about "Mr. Ross picking up another urchin".
With Prudie watching Jeremy and Jinny working in the kitchen, Demelza decided to try to and get Emma cleaned up for when Ross and Dwight Ennys came to the house.
"Emma, let's take you to the bedroom, just you and me, and clean you up, you look like you need it." Emma got up from the table and followed Demelza to the bedroom, limping from her injured feet. Demelza sat Emma on the bed and combed out her tangled hair. Emma bounced up and down on the mattress, but stopped abruptly.
"I haven't had a bed in a while." She said softly. Demelza started to wipe the grime from Emma's face. The girl winced as Demelza wiped at a dark spot on the side of her face. It wasn't a dark spot; it was a bruise. Demelza saw more bruises on Emma's neck, and some welts on her back. Demelza used to have welts like that.
Demelza took a deep breath and looked Emma in the eyes.
"Emma, no matter what happened, you're safe here with me and Ross. Just tell me; did someone hurt you?"
Emma nodded and turned away. Demelza put her hand on the girl's shoulder, remembering that she had been just like her not that many years ago.
"It's alright. We'll take care of you."
Emma looked up at Demelza, her face still looking scared. Horses were heard outside the house; Ross and Dr. Ennys had returned. Demelza knelt down and looked Emma in the eyes.
"Just tell them the truth; and we can try and help you."
"Please don't send me back!" Emma pleaded, her eyes welling up with tears and carrying a terrified look.
"I'll be with you the whole time. Would that make you feel better?" Demelza asked her. Emma nodded, and Demelza took her hand and led her downstairs.

Demelza took Emma into the kitchen and sat her at the table. Dwight and Ross were already there waiting. Dwight took off Emma's bandages and looked closely at her cuts.
"My, my, Emma; what were you running over? Broken glass?" Dwight asked, but Emma just looked away. The surgeon examined Emma's arm and the bruises.
"Your arm is bruised badly but it isn't fractured. Emma, you have to tell us how you got these injuries. It's the only way we can help you."
Emma scanned the faces looking down on her. She looked at the floor and tried hard not to cry.
"My arm was slammed in the pantry door, and I ran over a broken crock when I ran away from the manor. The bruises on my neck were from him trying to keep me from screaming."
Dwight sat back and tried to hide the shock in his voice.
"Emma, I'm going to speak with Captain and Mistress Poldark for a while, but we'll be back." Emma nodded silently and Dwight, Ross, and Demelza went into the parlor.

"Ross, something bad happened to this girl. I've seen those bruises on children and women who have been beaten. Her feet are so cut up I can't imagine how she walked this far; it's a wonder they don't need stitches or cauterizing. As for her not saying much about her family, she might not even know where they are. But from what she mentioned, someone is responsible for this."
"As far as Ross and I can figure, she's running from something and is terrified because of what happened." Demelza said, looking down the hall.
"I guess we have to find out." Ross said. "Demelza, you better try and talk to her."
The three adults walked back into the kitchen, and Demelza sat down next to Emma.
"Are you ready to tell us? We're here to help you and you're among friends."
"Yes, I'll tell you.