Chapter 15

Ross rested his hands on Emma's shoulders as she put her arms around his middle. He looked down at her, hoping she wouldn't see the tears of relief in his eyes. His stomach turned when he saw a smear of blood on her hair.
Emma was crying soundlessly, and locked eyes with Ross, gasping at the sight of his battered face.
"Oh, Ross! You're hurt!"
"Don't worry; I've had worse." He said ruefully.
"I want to go home..." Emma said in a voice that sounded small and vulnerable as Ross wrapped her in his cloak and held her to close to him.
"It's alright; we're going home." He answered, getting her onto the horse and mounting the saddle behind her.
Emma rested her head against Ross's chest, feeling safe and protected again.
Ross dug a handkerchief out of his pocket and held it against the sticky scab on Emma's scalp. He saw her wince, and fought the urge to kiss the top of her head like he would have done with his own children. Night was falling fast and soon rain began falling. He pulled his coat around him an helped Emma cover her head with the cloak. Emma didn't speak the whole way; she wasn't the smiling girl she was only a few hours ago.
It was dark then, and Ross was on guard for any trouble; he couldn't help but think someone might attack out of the shadows. When he and Emma made it to a crossroads, he set he down under a tree. He told her he needed to rest the horse. In reality, it was so she wouldn't see him put the pistol that he kept in his saddle bag in his coat pocket.
It was late when they finally came in view of the village. Ross gave a silent sigh of relief; home was not far away.
"I think Demelza was going to make oatcakes today, Emma. Maybe you can have one before you go to bed." Ross told Emma, again trying to hide his anxiety. The glow of a lantern was a welcome sight.
"Ross! We were just about to get a search party to look for you!" Drake called out, lifting the lantern. His face grew to one of concern when he saw the shape Ross and Emma were in.
"What happened?" Drake asked.
"George and Crawley." Was all Ross said before riding towards Nampara.
Demelza was pacing the kitchen floor and Prudie was wringing her hands when Ross came in through the door carrying Emma. They were both bruised, wet, and cold.
"Ross! I was so worried!" Demelza cried, running to him. Ross sat Emma on a chair. He gestured for Demelza to join him in the next room while Prudie got a basin of water to clean Emma up.
"Judas!* What happened? I was going mad wondering where the both of you were!" Demelza railed, sounding more worried than angry.
"I ran into George; Philip Crawley was with him." Ross said, groaning from his aches. "Crawley had me attacked in the the alley and tried to kidnap Emma. It was a miracle she was able to escape." Ross paused, some thought forming. He looked at his wife, a single tear running down his cheek. "Why couldn't I protect her?" He cried.
"Ross, because of today, you can protect her."
That night, Ross tucked both of his children into bed. He even looked in on Emma, just to see if she was asleep, safe and warm.

*For those who don't know, "Judas" is Demelza's personal swear word.