Chapter 19

A few weeks later, Emma was out picking flowers when she heard the harsh clanging of the bell from the mine echoing along the coast. She ran as quick as she could back to the house. She nearly tripped over one of the barn cats when Demelza hurried out of the house carrying her basket.
"There's been a collapse! I need you to help me with the injured."
Emma nodded wordlessly and followed Demelza over to the mine.
It was chaos when they made it there. Dwight was checking the injured men and people from the village were milling about trying to help or find out word about their loved ones.
Emma recognized him laying among the injured, even though his face was covered in grime.
"David!" She called out, starting to run towards him. Demelza tried to hold her back but it was too late. It was Ross who stopped her.
"He's alright as far as Dwight knows. He came down to help us rescue the others, but a second collapse happened. He's unconscious but should be alright."
Emma made a quick decision. "Can David be moved to his cottage? I can take care of him until Dwight can see him; the rest of the men are in worse shape than he is."
Dusk had fallen as Emma sat at the table in David's cottage. He was still unconscious and Emma was doing her best to keep from feeling nervous. She heated up some water on the hearth, using it to clean his face and a few cuts on his arms and shoulders. Those same muscled arms she had seen when he was scything in the field.
David woke up with a groan. Emma laid her hands on his shoulders.
"Careful. You've been unconscious for a few hours."
David laid back down, wincing as Emma went to wipe the blood away from a cut on his forehead.
"Errrrr! It hurts!" He groaned, jerking away from her touch.
"If you let me clean it, it won't hurt as bad!" Emma shot back. She didn't mean to sound so short, but she was tired and wanted to head back home. She went to clean another cut across his chest. Again, David complained. Emma put the rag down and sat back on the cot.
"All right, where doesn't it hurt?"
David pointed to a bruise on his shoulder, and Emma washed it. He did the same thing with a scrape on his chin. Cheekily, he pointed to his lips.
"Kiss them and make them feel better." He teased.
Emma had daydreamed so much about a moment like that for so long, that she didn't think twice.
She broke the kiss quickly; she had come to her senses. David seemed surprised that she had kissed him.
"You know I've liked you for a long time." He said, trying to wrap his head around what happened in last few seconds.
Emma could feel her heart hammering against her ribs. It seemed unreal. She gave a heartfelt sigh of relief when she saw Dwight coming up the path. She hurried to go, but not before she heard David say two words;
"Thank you."