Chapter 22

The wedding celebration wound down as the sun was setting. David took the moment to carry Emma over the threshold of his cottage. They were both so happy. He lead her to the bedroom. Demelza had covered the bed with a quilt.
Emma's mind was still spinning; David was her husband now. She tried to remember what Demelza had told her; how she and Ross ended up together.
"Can you unfasten me?" Emma asked David, turning so her back was towards him. He slowly began to unlace the back of her wedding gown, revealing a lacy camisole and petticoat. As the gown fell, he kissed her softly on her shoulders and neck. They lay back on the bed, David's kisses feeling so good against her skin.
It was something about how he was breathing, how he had his hands on her, that brought it all back, and Philip Crawley's leering face flashed through Emma's mind. She shot up with a gasp, and turned onto the side of the bed, trembling like a leaf. David took a deep breath, putting his arms around her.
"Emma, Ross told me what happened to you as a child; what Crawley tried to do to you." It hurt him deeply when she started crying softly and he let her lay against his chest.
"You know the last thing I want to do is hurt you."
Emma dried her eyes and looked up at him.
"I want to be a good wife to you, David." She whispered.
"We don't have to do this tonight." David answered her.
"No, it's our wedding night. This is supposed to be a happy time." Emma breathed.
"Well, then let's make it happen." David said, leaning in for a kiss.
Emma laid down beside him, and blew out the candle.
She lifted his shirt and kissed his strong shoulders and chest. David kissed Emma's parted lips, and deepened it when she took  breath.
"I'll take care of you. I swear."
When midnight came, they lay asleep in each other's arms; the stable boy and the girl made woman by her husband's tender love.