Chapter 14

Emma knew they were taking her back to Crawley, but she wasn't going to go back quietly. Her foot swiped into of the men's nose and he let go of her, giving her the opportunity to roll away. The horses were running faster, and it was all the momentum she needed to roll off the cart. She didn't realize how far off the ground she was. Emma landed into the ditch hard.

Ross rode his horse as fast as he could urge it along the road. He silently prayed that Emma was alright. He had found her bonnet on the side of the road, so he knew he was on the right path. His head hurt from the beating but he didn't dare stop; he had to find her. The sky was growing dark; a storm was brewing. Emma was probably scared and terrified and heaven only knew what was happening to her.

Emma was happy the muck at the bottom of the ditch broke her fall. Her head was pounding and she was dizzy. She managed to crawl out an and was near a strip of woods and a stone wall. Emma curled up at the base of a tree. She knew Ross was searching for her. But what if he was....? Emma started crying softly at the thought. She was cold and more than anything, she wanted to go home. She curled up tighter, wishing she had worn her shawl or cloak today, but not even those would have kept the fear away.

The sun had just about gone down and dark storm clouds had gathered when Ross made it to the stretch of road. He saw what looked like a bundle of rags, and ran to it, calling Emma's name.
Emma got up rather shakily and leapt towards Ross, her arms outstretched.
"Ross," she said in a voice barely above a whisper, "You found me!"