Chapter 21

Emma and David announced their engagement to Ross and the rest of the family that very night. They were nervous, but happy at the same time. David asked Ross about how to get a ring. To his surprise, Ross gave him one.
"It belonged to a woman I loved; it would mean so much if Emma has it." Ross had told him. David never knew the story behind the ring.

It was the ring Elizabeth had given Ross before he left to fight in the colonies in America. He had tossed it  aside in one of his rooms after Elizabeth married Francis. He had only found it recently. At first he thought about throwing it into the sea; getting rid of the memory of her and the guilt with it. Elizabeth was dead and buried now; Ross considered giving the ring to Geoffrey Charles, but the young man had decided to move away and cut off all ties to his home.

When the wedding day came fast. Emma walked to the church with so much emotion. She knew every bridge she crossed, every step she took, she was closer to a new start in her life.
Before she knew it, she hooked arms with Ross and he walked her down the aisle. She saw Demelza with Jeremy and Clowerence. She saw Prudie, Drake and Morwenna, people who had been her family for five years. Emma was soon at the front of the church where David stood. She turned to Ross.
"Thank you for doing this, Ross. Hopefully, someday, you'll be doing this with your daughter."
Ross looked down at her lovingly, and his eyes said everything.
You were always my daughter.