Chapter 5

Emma looked up at Dwight, and then to Ross.
"You're not going to send me back are you?" she asked in a small voice.
"Emma, we're going to do everything we can to keep him away from you." Ross said.
"You mean, I might see my family again?" Emma said, her face beginning to brighten.
"If we can find them, yes. Do you know anything?"
Emma reached into a pocket of her dress and pulled out a small pocket journal and a piece of darkened paper.
"This has my parent's wedding date and my brother and sister's birthdays. And this is my mother's last letter."
Demelza looked at the note; it was dated two years earlier. It talked about life at home, how little Mary missed Emma, and hopes that the oldest sibling, Joshua, would return from the colonies.
"You haven't heard anything from your mother since then?" she asked, and Emma shook her head.

Ross walked into the parlor; hearing Emma's story had upset him. Who would hurt a little girl like that? How many other girls had Crawley harmed? Ross poured himself a drink and sat down in a chair. He could still hear Dwight and Demelza asking Emma questions. Dwight asked Emma one more question.
"We know you've been though a lot Emma, but can you answer one more question?"
"Yes," Emma answered in a tired voice.
"Did Philip have any connections to the other wealthy families?"
Emma went quiet for a while, thinking. Finally she said something that would set Ross off.
"I've heard a Mr. George Warleggan comes and visits occasionally." She said.
Ross through his glass across the room in his anger.

Dwight left not long after that, giving Demelza instructions on cleaning and bandaging Emma's feet, saying they should heal in a while. Demelza gave Emma a nightgown to wear and let her sleep in the guest room. Ross was already in the master bedroom when Demelza went to bed.
"Demelza, we have to keep Emma protected."
"How, Ross? You can't do for her like you did for Mark Daniels; let her escape. Even if we just left her someplace, there's no way she'd last long."
"We'll keep her as far away from Trenweith as possible; if George has something to do this, we have to do whatever we can to keep her safe."

"How? You have to look for her family and I have to mind the house. Not to mention another little one on way." Demelza added, putting her hand on her belly.
Ross went silent for a moment.
"Verity! Emma can stay with Verity!" he exclaimed.