Chapter 8

Emma returned to Nampara within a week. Ross and the family were anxious to see her. Ross had news for Emma, and he didn't know the right way to tell her.
When Emma stepped out of the coach, Ross and Demelza barely recognized her; her hair had been neatly trimmed and braided, she had put on a little weight, and she was dressed in a beautiful blue velvet cloak. She looked pretty and healthy; the opposite of the scrawny waif that had left barely three months ago.
Verity apparently had taken very good care of Emma during her stay; the young girl curtsied politely to everyone as they welcomed her back and poor Jud had three trunks of belongings to carry into the house.

Ross brought Emma and Demelza into the library and closed the door; the time had come to tell her what he had found out about her family.
"Emma, I searched as thoroughly as I could; but there isn't much I can tell you."
"My father...what happened to him?" Emma asked, her face creasing with worry.
"Your father stayed in a debtors prison near Greenwich, but he was moved to another one three years ago. I couldn't find out where he is now or even if he's still alive."
Emma pursed her mouth, as though she was trying to keep back tears. Her thoughts went to the other man in her family, her brother.
"Jonathan? Could he be....?"
"As far as I can tell, he made it to the colonies; but there's no way to know where he is overseas."
"At least there's a chance," Emma sighed, feeling a little relieved. "What about my mother?"
"I asked a woman who lived near you, a Mrs. Edwards." Ross started.
"I remember her! She used to watch Mary and I when Mother had to work."
"Yes...Emma, your mother left two years after you were sent to work...she might have left for London...." Ross paused, bracing himself for the question that was coming next.
"She took Mary with her, didn't she?" Emma asked, her eyes widening with uncertainty.
Ross took a deep breath; he was dreading telling Emma this; she was holding out on hope. "Emma, Mary died of the putrid throat just a few months after your mother's last letter."
Ross could only watch as Emma's face slowly caved in with anguish. His heart ached as he watched Demelza put her arms around Emma; there were no words needed for why his wife was reaching out to the girl. For Ross knew; he and Demelza where thinking of Julia. It was that thought that compelled him to put his arms around his wife and Emma, a brief moment of comfort.
When her tears subsided, Emma wiped her eyes. She looked up at Ross.
"She wasn't buried in a pauper's grave was she, Ross?" She whimpered, a single tear running down her cheek.
"No, Emma, I swear to you she wasn't. I asked a few of your neighbors and the members of your church; they pooled some money together and bought Mary a headstone. She's buried next to your grandmother."
Emma wiped her tear away. "Can you take me there someday?"
Ross reached down and cupped Emma's face with his hand. "I promise."
The girl looked down at the floor. "What's going to happen to me now?"
"You're staying here with us, sweetheart. Until your family comes for you, Nampara is your home." Demelza said, locking eyes with Ross for confirmation. Ross nodded silently, knowing that this was the right decision.