Chapter 16

It was a tense few days that followed. Emma barely left her room. Drake and David stayed by the farm, staying on guard. Ross was determined not to let Emma be hurt again. He would have to protect not only her, but his own family as well. It scared him to death when he had to go to London, a world away from Cornwall. He tried to hide his fear and told Emma that he would try to locate her mother.
Ross had been barely gone a week when trouble finally came calling. Demelza was hanging up the wash, Prudie was cutting up vegetables in a shady spot in the courtyard, and Emma was playing with Jeremy and Clowerence. In the barn, David was pitching out the horse stalls while Drake had stopped in. 
It as Drake who noticed the hulking figure of George's henchman Tom Harry; the brute had beat him to an inch of his life not that long ago. He wasn't alone this time; to other men were with him. He got Demelza's attention pretty quickly.
"Sister! Looks like we've got trouble coming!"
Demelza knew why, and her first reaction was to protect her children.
"Emma, take the children into our room and lock the door. Then, I need you to go into the trapdoor in the library and stay quiet until I come for you."
"And leave the little ones alone?" Emma protested.
"You have to stay safe too. Please, don't argue." Demelza said levelly, hiding the anxiety in her voice.
Emma put Clowerence on her hip and took Jeremy by the hand and hurried into the house.
Tom Harry was unprepared for the small army that clustered near the door. Demelza had armed herself with the biggest knife in the kitchen. Prudie clutched her trusty broom. Drake had his forge hammer while David brandished his pitchfork.
"I've got word for Captain Ross Poldark." He drawled.
"Well you'll have to make do with his wife." Demelza spat back.
The giant bristled, but didn't turn back.
"Phillip Crawley wants his servant girl back."
"You ain't takin' Miss Emma anywhere!" Prudie hollered, taking a step forward. Demelza held her back by her apron strings while Garrick growled, raising his hackles.
"If Mr. Crawley wants to speak with my husband, he'll have to wait until he returns." Demelza said, standing her ground. "We're not letting her go back so she can be hurt again."
Harry straightened, pawing his cudgel. Demelza felt her knees shaking; he might not harm the women, but would he go after Drake and David?
After what felt like an eternity, Tom Harry and the other two men turned to leave, but not before telling the familiar threat.
"It's not over."
Demelza and the others stood their ground until the men were out of sight. She lowered the knife, not realizing she had it in a viselike grip. When her breath came back, she hurried up to her and Ross's room. Jeremy was playing, unaware of the danger just outside the window, and Clowerence had fallen asleep in her cot. Seeing that they were safe, she went to the library.
Demelza lit a candle and lifted the trapdoor. She called out into the dark space.
"Emma? You can come out now; they're gone." She felt like she was coaxing out a frightened puppy.
Emma poked her head out, tears running down her cheeks. She wrapped her arms around Demelza, clinging tight.
"It's alright, sweetheart; you're safe now." Demelza whispered. But how long would she, and rest of the household, be safe with Ross gone?